ASRock X370 ITX Connectors

stellarcorp99

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
So I was going to build a mini-ITX Ryzen rig with this ASRock X370 ITX motherboard along with a Fractal Design Nano S. There are two included fan in the case but I want to add another 140mm fan at the front. After looking over the specs of the board, I'm a bit confused with the connectors for the fan. Can you guys help me clarify whether I can add another fan? I'm going use a Ryzen 5 1600 with the stock cooler.
Here is the specs of the connectors on the board:
- 1 x LPC Header
- 1 x AMD Fan LED Header
- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)*
- 1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin)
- 1 x Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)**
- 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector
- 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)
- 1 x Front Panel Audio Connector
- 1 x AMD LED Fan USB Header
- 1 x USB 2.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 2.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection)
- 1 x USB 3.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection)

Solution
Nice case; Love those ITX builds.

Your plan is good. Two front filtered 140mm fans will supply sufficient cooling air for anything and keep your parts clean.
The cpu header is for the fan on your cpu cooler.
Then you have 3 fans to connect to two motherboard headers.
One option is to use a fan splitter for the two front fans.
You will need a fan splitter adapter cable. If you use motherboard speed control, both fans will be controlled the same way.
Another option is to connect one of the fans directly to a molex lead on the psu. You will need a molex to fan adapter cable. That fan will run at max speed.
ITX boards don't have as many fan connections as a MATX or ATX because they are much smaller. The only two fan connections that are on the motherboard are the Chassis fan and the Chassis Optional. So with that configuration, you will only be able to connect 2 fans to the motherboard.

You can get a fan controller to hook up to on of the motherboard fan ports that will allow you to hook up more fans. They are small and should be able to fit I the case if you want more than 2 fans.

Nice case; Love those ITX builds.

Your plan is good. Two front filtered 140mm fans will supply sufficient cooling air for anything and keep your parts clean.
The cpu header is for the fan on your cpu cooler.
Then you have 3 fans to connect to two motherboard headers.
One option is to use a fan splitter for the two front fans.
You will need a fan splitter adapter cable. If you use motherboard speed control, both fans will be controlled the same way.
Another option is to connect one of the fans directly to a molex lead on the psu. You will need a molex to fan adapter cable. That fan will run at max speed.

Solution

stellarcorp99

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Thanks man. I think I'm gonna get a fan controller.

I might ask what controller, and why do you need it.
What do you expect it to do?
Where will you mount it?

If you want the fan speeds to vary based on temperatures, the fan profile settings in the motherboard bios should do that for you. Using a fan splitter for the two front fans, the motherboard will change the speeds in concert.

Actually, I find that varying speeds is annoying. Keeping the fans at a constant low speed will keep them all but inaudible.
If your parts get a bit hot, so be it.
Both cpu and gpu are built to tolerate very high temperatures on occasion.