ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4, good or not?

bubacase

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Found a good deal on this particular Mobo + a R5 1600x. The Mobo seems kind of iffy based on the reviews I've seen. However, the issues are with over-clockers for the most part, though. I don't plan on overclocking anyways. Also, I saw that this mobo only works well with DDR4 2667/ 2400/ 2133. Would that cause a performance hit compared to the DDR4 3200 I was going to buy for my i58400/MSIZ370?

Should I jump on this deal? Or should I just stick to buying the MSI Pro-A Z370 and i5-8400?

Solution
Well if you are not overclocking I don't see the point of getting an X370 board in the first place, unless you need one of the other fetures that chipset provides. If not save some money and go for a B350 board.

To answer your question it looks like a fine board. What reviews are you talking about? Professional reviews of that board have largely been positive. I put no stock in user reviews if that's what you are reading, unless there is a large amount of verified buyers complaining about the same thing. The VRM looks beefy, it's at least an 8 phase so I would think that board would overclock a 1600x just fine. Decent B350 boards with half the VRM that thing has also tend to overclock just fine.

For gaming I would personally go for...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you are not overclocking I don't see the point of getting an X370 board in the first place, unless you need one of the other fetures that chipset provides. If not save some money and go for a B350 board.

To answer your question it looks like a fine board. What reviews are you talking about? Professional reviews of that board have largely been positive. I put no stock in user reviews if that's what you are reading, unless there is a large amount of verified buyers complaining about the same thing. The VRM looks beefy, it's at least an 8 phase so I would think that board would overclock a 1600x just fine. Decent B350 boards with half the VRM that thing has also tend to overclock just fine.

For gaming I would personally go for an i5 8400 build instead. You can buy an expensive Z370 board now or wait for the B360 and H370 boards to release which will likely be cheaper and just fine for a locked i5.

Solution

bubacase

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

So this deal isn't worth if if I'm not overclocking? The only reason I considered this is because the CPU+ Mobo are bundled together for $280. This seems like a good deal, especially because of the beefy CPU. To me, at least, the R5 looks better (on paper) since it has 6 cores that the i5 offers AND a higher base clock speed than the i5.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That is a pretty good deal, the 1600x is usually like $230 US alone.

Well comparing intel and AMDs clock speeds is not a good way to determine which is the better cpu for your needs. The 1600x will be better for multithreaded workloads, such as CPU rendering or other work station tasks. But for gaming where single core performance tends to be very important, the i5 8400 is going to come out on top i the majority of games. Here are some examples. The i5 8400 scoring higher is using 3200mhz DDR4.

i5-8400-legacy-wd2.png

i5-8400-gtav-1080p.png

i5-8400-tww-1080p.png

bubacase

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Ah okay. Thank you for in-depth answer. So I guess Im staying with Intel :)

TRENDING THREADS