[SOLVED] ASRock X370 Killer SLI non-ultra M.2 riser screw size

Well, this is going to be a toughy. I recently purchased a WD SN550 1TB NVMe drive to reduce game load times. Oddly, it didn't come with a retaining screw. I say oddly because the only other M.2 drive that I ever purchsed, my AData SP900NS38, came with two screws (one black, one silver). I mounted the AData in the Ultra M.2 port (which, as it turns out, takes a standard M2 screw). The other M.2 slot however, has a little riser screwed into the motherboard at a point marked "CT15" and the screw that fits in there is smaller than M2 because I couldn't get the standard M2 screw into this riser (hole's too small). I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere on the internet so I wondered if anyone has come across this before and if so, what that size is.

I realise how insane this sounds so I'll post a pic to help explain:

https://www.vortez.net/contentteller.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=36234
(I had to post only the link because posting as an image causes a server error)

This is my secondary M.2 slot. You can see the three standard M2 holes and then that silver riser riser at the far left end marked "CT15". The hole in the riser is clearly smaller and this is the problem. It appears to be a M1.8 or M1.6 but I can't tell for certain. If nobody knows the answer, I'll probably just remove the riser and use an M2 screw but I'd rather keep it since it must serve some purpose or ASRock never would have put it there. I also am very loathe to apply torque to anything on a motherboard (one of the reasons I've never damaged one during an install or extraction).

I find it really odd that this slot has this riser while my Ultra M.2 slot does not. It just has holes like the other three seen here. I've always seen tech manufacturers use standards when it comes to something like screw thread pitch so this is a bit bewildering. Since this is a flat board and the Ultra M.2 slot doesn't need it, it makes me wonder why it's here.
I've done lots of builds over the last three decades and here I am, immobilized by an M.2 slot! Oh the shame of it all! :homer::p:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Solution
Well, this is going to be a toughy. I recently purchased a WD SN550 1TB NVMe drive to reduce game load times. Oddly, it didn't come with a retaining screw. I say oddly because the only other M.2 drive that I ever purchsed, my AData SP900NS38, came with two screws (one black, one silver). I mounted the AData in the Ultra M.2 port (which, as it turns out, takes a standard M2 screw). The other M.2 slot however, has a little riser screwed into the motherboard at a point marked "CT15" and the screw that fits in there is smaller than M2 because I couldn't get the standard M2 screw into this riser (hole's too small). I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere on the internet so I wondered if anyone has come across this before...
Well, this is going to be a toughy. I recently purchased a WD SN550 1TB NVMe drive to reduce game load times. Oddly, it didn't come with a retaining screw. I say oddly because the only other M.2 drive that I ever purchsed, my AData SP900NS38, came with two screws (one black, one silver). I mounted the AData in the Ultra M.2 port (which, as it turns out, takes a standard M2 screw). The other M.2 slot however, has a little riser screwed into the motherboard at a point marked "CT15" and the screw that fits in there is smaller than M2 because I couldn't get the standard M2 screw into this riser (hole's too small). I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere on the internet so I wondered if anyone has come across this before and if so, what that size is.

I realise how insane this sounds so I'll post a pic to help explain:

https://www.vortez.net/contentteller.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=36234
(I had to post only the link because posting as an image causes a server error)

This is my secondary M.2 slot. You can see the three standard M2 holes and then that silver riser riser at the far left end marked "CT15". The hole in the riser is clearly smaller and this is the problem. It appears to be a M1.8 or M1.6 but I can't tell for certain. If nobody knows the answer, I'll probably just remove the riser and use an M2 screw but I'd rather keep it since it must serve some purpose or ASRock never would have put it there. I also am very loathe to apply torque to anything on a motherboard (one of the reasons I've never damaged one during an install or extraction).

I find it really odd that this slot has this riser while my Ultra M.2 slot does not. It just has holes like the other three seen here. I've always seen tech manufacturers use standards when it comes to something like screw thread pitch so this is a bit bewildering. Since this is a flat board and the Ultra M.2 slot doesn't need it, it makes me wonder why it's here.
I've done lots of builds over the last three decades and here I am, immobilized by an M.2 slot! Oh the shame of it all! :homer::p:ROFLMAO:
The needed screws “should” have been included with the motherboard. Haven’t gotten an m.2 screw and I’ve purchased three different brands over three years, however 3 different motherboards all had the required screws.

Solution