Question Asrock x370 taichi bios update procedure

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hello,

I purchased ryzen 5900x and plan to use it with my current x370 taichi MB, my system specs are:

CPU: ryzen 1700
Ram: (8 +8) GB Gskill
MB: asrock x370 taichi
MB Bios ver 4.60
Graphics card: Nvidia 2060 super
PSU: gigabyte 750w

What is the correct bios update procedure? shoud I:

A- Update bios directly from current version 4.60 to 7.00 then 7.10?
B- Update bios incrementally (4.60 to 4.70 to ....... to 7.10)?

And finally, after updating the bios will a (bios restore to defaults) suffice or should I do a (cmos reset)?

Thank you very much for your time!
Kind Regards

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check for the bridge BIOS notes.

To be fair, I am not 100% sure that you can update all the way up without having a 2xxx or 3xxx to complete. I am not positive but think that once you update the system to 6.2 or 6.4 that it will not boot off 1xxx any longer.

edit- reading the notes indicates that they no longer recommend under certain CPU for BIOS 5.8+
I had a system with some stability issues that I couldn't solve and went to 6.4. Even though it wasn't recommended, the 2xxx I had in my system continued to boot and was stable like it had never been.

Reactions: Fuad

To be fair, I am not 100% sure that you can update all the way up without having a 2xxx or 3xxx to complete. I am not positive but think that once you update the system to 6.2 or 6.4 that it will not boot off 1xxx any longer.
7.x bios works with first gen cpu, they just removed non ryzen APUs (excavator CPU) to make some space

but you have to flash bios 5.1 first
4.6 -> 5.1 -> 7.0 -> 7.1

Reactions: Fuad

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

edit- reading the notes indicates that they no longer recommend under certain CPU for BIOS 5.8+
I had a system with some stability issues that I couldn't solve and went to 6.4. Even though it wasn't recommended, the 2xxx I had in my system continued to boot and was stable like it had never been.
Thank you very much!