ASRock x370 Taichi & Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 SSD

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
Hey guys, sorry for my nooby question however I'm pretty new to PC building and am building my first PC in about 1-2 weeks, I have all the parts I need (minus the GPU AND OS because money.)
So I decided to get a little headstart on my build and look through my Motherboard (ASRock x370 TaiChi) manual online so that I had an idea of what I was working with, however when I got to the section that mentions how to install the M.2 SSD I got confused and my M.2 Drive wasn't listed there in the manual as being compatible (Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280) It's also not listed on the QVL on their website!
So will the M.2 that I have not work with my build or what? :/

I also have the same issue regarding the RAM that I have too! I have G.skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 - (F4-3000C16D-16GTZR) and in the Motherboard manual it isn't listed nor is it listed on the website (QVL)

Again, will this work with my build or not?

Thanks in advance guys!

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Thank you for the fast reply! :)
Which M.2 slot would be the best for the MX300 525GB? M.2_2 or M.2 Ultra (If it matters)

PCPartPickers compatibility shows the RAM as working with the MoBo and it was suggested by someone of there too for my build so hopefully it does work! (Will anything get damaged if it's incompatible or will it just not boot to bios?

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Thanks bud!
Yeah I've heared some people say that with this board that 3000 is actually 2933 or something like that which is fine, as long as it runs then I can sort out the speeds in the bios!
There's so many G.skill RAM that IS compatible in their QVL with similar speeds/RGB/Voltage so I assume it will work then, was just a bit worried that I'd bought something that wouldn't work at all. Thanks for the help!

yes think i helped before in a couple of threads where they could only reach 2933 or 2966 but couldnt hit 3000

but for what its worth asrock boards are usually pretty good at high speed so good chance you will get there

As to the RAM...
The following is from a G.SKILL rep referring to your specific RAM. He was responding to a complaint by a user (6/3 review) in Newegg re a problem with this model RAM and the AMD Ryzen motherboards (presumably the X370). See https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232498

"Manufacturer Response:

Dear Customer
(Edited)

The G.Skill QVL does not list any AMD motherboards because this model is not designed for AMD CPUs. The Flare X and Fortis series is designed specifically for AMD Ryzen chip sets so you can expect the best performance with one of those kits. Hopefully in the future BIOS updates can improve compatibility and allow this RAM to run smoothly at full speed with AMD systems. At this time, we do not recommend it, so try at your own discretion. For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

To check or report a technical problem,
please visit the Official G.Skill Technical Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskillusa.com
RMA Dept Email: rma@gskillusa.com
External Link(s): G.Skill F4-3000C16D-16GTZR QVL"

We've installed the G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Model F4-2400C15D-32GFXR
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232536&Tpk=20-232-536
on a couple of your model AMD motherboards with no problems.

We haven't installed any M.2 SSDs on the two boards we worked with (only 2.5" SSDs), but I'm virtually certain there shouldn't be any problem with that AMD X370 board having any compatibility problems with that M.2 SSD you've mentioned.

P.S.
I trust you're aware to ensure your board contains the latest AMD BIOS update.

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Thanks for digging up that info man!
Isn't that review more about him not being able to reach the high speeds rather than it not working at all?

And again,sorry to sound nooby but how would I ensure that it contains the latest AMD BIOS update?

G.SKILL has consistently emphasized since the introduction of the AMD Ryzen X370 MBs that their Flare X and Fortis series are designed specifically for AMD Ryzen chip sets. Those are the series they recommend. PERIOD.

Now, as the old politician said a long time ago..."Yer pays yer muny and yer taikes yer cherece." Capiche?

You can access the ASRock BIOS updates from...
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme7+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Regarding the BIOS update, it's a new system so how would I ensure that it has the latest drivers if it's new? If the RAM is compatible then I won't even be able to download the latest drivers will I?

in my opinion

your pc is going to boot up fine with the ram

it will just default to a lower speed--2133mhz or 2400mhz or similar--late here so not checked exactly what speed

you will then be able to install the latest bios if your board doesnt have it

some asrock boards are capable of bios updating straight from within the bios itself dont even need windows--dont know if that one can

once your bios is latest version you can try for 3000mhz--might get it might not

but far as i am concerned you will have a working pc to begin with

so please dont get panicky its pretty unlikely your pc wont boot at all

1. Do you understand the difference between a BIOS update and driver updates? You will not need to update any "drivers" for your ASRock board. The driver installation CD that was included with the board contains the necessary drivers for that motherboard. So there's no need to download any drivers. But it is important to install the latest BIOS update which is version 7.4 (check this on ASRock's site - those BIOS updates for this board are quite frequent).

2. Hopefully you'll experience no problem with your current RAM modules. Frankly, if those modules were purchased very recently and you had the option of returning them to the vendor for exchange - if it was me, I would do so and exchange them for one of the G.SKILL series previously referred to. But if that's not an option you can exercise either because it's too late to do so or you feel you can live with the present RAM, so be it.

I'm fairly certain the ram will work fine , you may be stuck at 2666mhz max if the board is running an early bios revision until its updated.

Which m2 slot ??
This is a strange one as to my knowledge generally the ultra m2 is normally for nvme drives & the standard m2 is sata (the mx 300 is a sata based m2 drive).

My asrock b350 board has that exact spec.

The taichi states

1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3), 1 M.2 (PCIe Gen2 x4)

So according to that you use the ultra slot.

You should consult your manual proper as this seems odd to me personally.

Edit - apparently specs are correct , the board supports 2 nvme drives or 1xnvme, 1x sata.

So the top ultra m2 slot for your mx300.

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Thanks for the reply bud! Hopefully it all works for me with this current RAM but worst case scenario I'll just sell this and buy different RAM.

1) Sorry, I meant the BIOS Update, not drivers :p
2) Thanks, think I'm just gonna risk it, if it doesn't work then I'll just order new RAM and sell this set!

Ahh thank you for researching that for me pal, I was a bit unsure as to which was the correct slot!

Josh...
I inadvertently misled you re the correct latest BIOS update for the ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard. My only excuse (a flimsy one I know!) is that I was working on another ASRock motherboard (Z170 type) at the time I responded to your query and indicated the latest BIOS update for that model.

The correct URL for the X370 MB is: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/#BIOS
The latest BIOS as of 7/14/17 is version 3.00.

Please excuse me for the mistake.

josh.sewell

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Oh don't worry about it haha, I just thought you were giving me the link to their site in general, I knew it wasn't my MoBo :D

TRENDING THREADS