ASROCK x470 Fatal1ty Fast boot option missing

keoM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
I just bought Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe ssd, and I'm trying to turn the ultr-fast boot option, but for some reason I cant find this option under the BOOT tap I tried to change the CSM from legacy to UEFI only and reboot but the option still missing I'm ruining the latest version available in ASROCK website 1.40

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/050684055b04a1e986b9e6ad55434fd55c89701d22a1961fc54b0fb4d0c800dc6ed105f3.jpg
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/286618242d8d69ee4f242b6b5f650c865c947cffbe55585dd1b580671eb3a02ce8c057cd.jpg

any ideas?

Solution
Fast boot should be the next option on the Boot screen immediately after USB options. If it's not there, I would suggest that you might need to contact ASRock. If you're booting from an SSD or PCI M.2 device, which it looks like you are, the fast boot settings are probably not going to net you anything anyhow. And if they do, it would be like a one second difference.

You can try the UEFI Windows install if you wish. Simply make sure that the bios is not set to compatibility mode, UEFI boot settings are enabled, Windows boot manager is selected as the primary boot device and then choose a boot override option to the media where your Windows ISO is located and install. It would be highly recommended that ALL other drives except the...
To check if you have Windows on UEFI or Legacy, hit the Windows key + R keys on your keyboard and type msinfo32
Under "Bios Mode" if you see UEFI then you could enable Ultra Fast boot, if you see Legacy then you will need to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode to enable that feature.

Try the options mentioned here first, before trying to reinstall windows.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8759&title=ultrafast-boot-not-working

Pay particular attention to the boot order as well. Do you have Windows boot manager as the #1 boot device, or is a drive selected? Windows boot manager MUST be the primary boot device. On another note, I do not actually see an option for Ultra fast boot in your motherboard manual, only Fast boot. Do you not see the fast boot option in there on the boot or advanced pages?

Fast boot should be the next option on the Boot screen immediately after USB options. If it's not there, I would suggest that you might need to contact ASRock. If you're booting from an SSD or PCI M.2 device, which it looks like you are, the fast boot settings are probably not going to net you anything anyhow. And if they do, it would be like a one second difference.

You can try the UEFI Windows install if you wish. Simply make sure that the bios is not set to compatibility mode, UEFI boot settings are enabled, Windows boot manager is selected as the primary boot device and then choose a boot override option to the media where your Windows ISO is located and install. It would be highly recommended that ALL other drives except the drive you are installing from and the drive you are installing to, are disconnected during the installation. Choose the custom method when it gets to that option during the installation and then delete ALL existing partitions on the target drive. Then, click on the unpartitioned space and select install. Windows will create any necessary partitions and perform any needed formatting.

Full step by step instructions on the right way to do a clean install can be found here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Solution

keoM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
mmmmmm ok i'm sure i did all the above the first time i installed windows, and yes i'm booting from Samsung Evo 970 m.2 the boot time should be like 4 seconds, yes it's not necessary but i bought it and i want to use every bit of it xD

This tells me that it wasn't set to UEFI mode when the first installation was done, unless you changed it to CSM later on or performed the install of Windows in a different system. Neither of which is practically optimal. I would at least try it. If you installed Windows recently it couldn't hurt. Alternatively, Microsoft will be releasing the Fall update soon, so maybe it would make sense to just leave it as is until the ISO for the new version is released, then download and create media using the newer image and do a clean install with that, at that time.