Asrock X470 Master SLI Memory Slots Speed

yaschancool

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
I just got Asrock X470 Master SLI (the one without wifi). I bought two sticks of DDR4 memory G.Skill Trident and installed them to A2 and B2 slots. I was oable to load XMP profile and get the 3200 speeds when those two sticks were in A2 and B2 but only in those slots. A1 and B1 defaulted to lower speeds and trying to load XMP profile failed to boot.

My question is if all slots are populated with same RAM does this motherboard support high speed ram?

The manual is very confusing and vague about this. Or it might be that I am not expert in this.

I bought the two 8gb sticks in belief that I was able to buy another pair in future in order to get 32gb memory in total. I would like to be able to use the high speed memory. But in my workflow amount of RAM is likely going to outweigh the impact of speed.

Solution
It would be difficult because of two IMC (Internal Memory Controller) in the processor each working with one channel of memory (A and B slots on MB) and that tends to overload IMC and processor. These "consumer grade" CPUs are just not meant to run that fast when overloaded like that. If you used 2 x 16GB which would still work on one IMC channel it wouldn't matter.
If you are determined to push it further http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html may help.
It's in the manual, when 2 sticks used they go to A2 - B2 slots, once you fill up all 4 you get 2 dual channel set. Up to 3000 - 3200MHz there should be no problem. Memory controller is in the CPU, not in motherboard, so it would also depend on CPU itself.

yaschancool

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
I bought another set of TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZR which should be identical except the other set doesn't have RGB. Timings and size and voltages are all identical. The system will recognize the memory and I am able to boot if I load 3200 XMP settings, but Windows will bluescreen and can't boot. If I lower the memory speed to 2800 it will work fine.

I have verified that the timings are exactly as mentioned in the box of my modules.

Is there a way to get 32gb working at 3200? I just noticed that the memory is not "for AMD" but mentions it supports Intel only.

It would be difficult because of two IMC (Internal Memory Controller) in the processor each working with one channel of memory (A and B slots on MB) and that tends to overload IMC and processor. These "consumer grade" CPUs are just not meant to run that fast when overloaded like that. If you used 2 x 16GB which would still work on one IMC channel it wouldn't matter.
If you are determined to push it further http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html may help.

Solution