Asrock X470 Master SLI Motherboard memory compadibility

Jan 17, 2019
I am considering buying the Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming ATX Motherboard but the memory kit I am buying is G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory I am just wondering if it would work together.

This is my first ever build so if you can suggest anything else please do so.

My current parts list:
Ryzen5 2600
Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 550W PSU
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
MSI Radeon (RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC) 8GB RX 570 ARMOR OC PCI-E VGA Card
Creative SB0570
Deepcool Deepshield V2
Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming ATX Motherboard

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Solution
Absolutely it does. It doesn't support MODULES that are LARGER than 16GB, EACH. I think you may have confused those.

That board would support any size DDR4 module up to 16GB each.

I can't verify that those sticks will work for SURE with that platform, but since most high quality memory does work on Ryzen platforms for the most part now, those CL15 sticks are more likely to work than not. Again, there are zero guarantees when it comes to Ryzen compatibility aside from yes they will at least work on there based on the QVL or yes they will work at the advertised speed in most cases based on what you can find verified at places like the list I linked earlier.
Yes, that memory should be compatible, however, take nothing for granted when it comes to Ryzen. It may be necessary to run only one stick and update the bios before installing the other stick or before attempting to run them above the default speed of 2133mhz by setting the XMP or DOCP profile so that they will run at their advertised sped of 3000mhz.

If you want to be sure, then stick to memory kits listed at the following link. And, if you can afford it, buying verified sticks that are 3000mhz/CL 14 (CAS 14) is an even better idea as those are modules using Samsung B-die memory chips and will not only offer lower latency but are almost universally compatible with Ryzen systems. Also, another option is simply buying Flare-X sticks which G.Skill programs specifically with timings favorable to Ryzen processors and memory controllers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Jan 17, 2019

My budget only allows for me to spend ~$110 AUD for RAM so are there other kits you would recomend? and since I've posted the question I've decided to go with the Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming ATX Motherboad

The RAM I said I would use earlier isn't on the motherboard QVL so what is the chance that this RAM will work?

The QVL list doesn't make much difference anyhow. There are boxes full of memory kits that will work on any given board that never make it onto the QVL list AND the QVL list ONLY verifies that a given memory module or kit will WORK on that board, at the default configuration (For DDR4, usually 2133mhz on Ryzen platforms). When you see a 3000mhz kit or module listed on the QVL list, they are saying that will work on that board, they are not saying that they've tested it on that board AT the advertised speed of 3000mhz using the programmed profile on the module. So you could get a memory kit listed on the QVL list, and many have, and then find out that yes it works, but only at the default configuration.

The memory listed at the link I posted are all part numbers that have been verified to work AT the advertised speed and timings on Ryzen, but not on any specific motherboard. These days most memory WILL work on Ryzen if the motherboard BIOS is up to date, but there are still a few kits out there, especially some of the older DDR4 part numbers that will primarily intended for use with Intel platforms, that give people some troubles. Usually they are also lower cost kits that use less expensive ICs (Memory chips). Ryzen is sort of fickle and likes the good stuff. But plenty of less expensive kits have been found to work fine too.

I actually don't see ANY 2 x4GGB memory kits on PCPP Australia that are less than about 125 AUD, so I think unless you know of a sale or something, you might want to save up a little longer and go with a better kit. What is the exact kit number of the sticks you are looking at?

Jan 17, 2019
The kit I was looking at was the G.Skill 8G (2x4G) F4-3000C15D-8GVR PC4-24000 / DDR4 3000 Mhz
It costs $135 AUD at umart.com.au which is where I'm getting most of my parts.

According to G.Skills configurator the Asus TUF board doesn't support ram of a lesser capacity than 16GB

As you said buy a FlareX kit in your first reply I had a look and the cheapest 3000Mhz kit is $325

Absolutely it does. It doesn't support MODULES that are LARGER than 16GB, EACH. I think you may have confused those.

That board would support any size DDR4 module up to 16GB each.

I can't verify that those sticks will work for SURE with that platform, but since most high quality memory does work on Ryzen platforms for the most part now, those CL15 sticks are more likely to work than not. Again, there are zero guarantees when it comes to Ryzen compatibility aside from yes they will at least work on there based on the QVL or yes they will work at the advertised speed in most cases based on what you can find verified at places like the list I linked earlier.

Solution