[SOLVED] ASRock X470 won't detect Western Digital HDD

Oct 23, 2019
Motherboard: ASRock X470 MASTER SLI/ac
Memory: Mushkin 2x16 GB PC4-2566, 19-19-19-43
SSD: Kingston A400 M.2 2280, 240 GB, 500MBps Read/ 350 MBps Write
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue, Model WD10EZRZ-00HTKB0, 1000 GB SATA

I have a brand new build and installed Pop!_OS on the M2 SSD. I was intending to use the HDD as an extra storage drive, but the ASRock BIOS won't detect the HDD.

When I plug the HDD into an old Asus eeePC running Ubuntu 12, it is detected just fine and I can format it with GParted. I've tried formatting the HDD as FAT32 and EXT4, tested it in all six SATA ports on the MoBo, and verified that it spins when plugged into each port. I haven't hot-swapped it; all the config changes were done with the new machine powered down and disconnected from wall AC.

Interestingly, the ASRock RAID controller detects the HDD every time I boot and is able to Init/De-init and set up an array on the HDD. I tried installing the OS after setting up separate RAID arrays on the SSD and HDD. The BIOS still couldn't detect the HDD but the OS install to the SSD went fine. I did not try setting up a single RAID array across both drives - even if it worked, my system would be capped at the HDD's RW speeds - there's no point in doing that. After deleting the RAID arrays on both drives, again the SSD was detected but the HDD is not. After all the RAID experiments I checked the HDD again on the Ubuntu laptop and it was immediately detected.

Additional info: using a SATA/USB adapter in plugging in the HDD as a USB device changes nothing. The HDD is still not detected by the BIOS.

Am I missing something obvious? Does anybody have suggestions?

Oct 23, 2019
Are you sure all sata ports were tried? Because often using an M2 ssd may disable some. Refer to motherboard manual to find out which ports if any.

Thanks. I'll scan the manual, retry all ports, and post results.

UPDATE
======================================
The ASRock X470 MASTER SLI/ac manual doesn't say anything about an MS ssd disabling SATA ports. I rechecked the HDD with all 6 SATA ports and it was not detected by the BIOS. Since the drive is detected by the MoBo's RAID controller, I opened the RAID console and created a new single-disk array on the HDD. The HDD is now detected by the BIOS, and shows up in the boot menu. However, it's still not detected by my Pop!_OS installation. This may have something to do with the CryptData setup, but at least it's a software problem now and not a hardware problem.

Last edited: