Question Asrock X570 Taichi 4-pin CPU

Oct 21, 2020
I am upgrading my over 10 year old PC so it's been a while since I played with the internals of a PC (mobility was more important than flat out power, but now I'm in need of power). I purchased a Ryzen 9 3950XT and Asrock X570 Taichi motherboard with plans to upgrade the CPU in about a year when the 5000 series matures. I am hoping to reuse my old Thermaltake 750W PSU which is still rocking along.

I am just realizing that besides the standard 8-pin CPU connector, the Mobo has an extra 4-pin CPU connector. My old PSU does not have any extra CPU connections, just the one 8-pin and 24-pin.

I've read around that the 4-pin is "optional" however the Asrock manual simply states to connect the 4-pin. Nothing about optional. Anybody with this mobo have any experience?

My other thought is, I do have a suite of de-pinning and soldering tools and that I would take a 6-pin PCI cable and re-wire it 4-pin CPU. It's all 12v right? It's just the pins are different. Thoughts?

TIA!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't need to use the 4-pin "extra" socket (unless performing extreme overclocking), just the 8-pin connection. What GPU do you intend to use with the new mobo/CPU/memory?

If your TT PSU is 10 years old, you should start planning now to replace it. PSUs can and do "age" and can take out other components when they depart.

Oct 21, 2020
I'm using a Nvidia Quadro P4000 for a GPU.

My PSU has multiple PCI outputs (more than I would use) so I thought of using one of the outputs for this but it sounds like a new PSU would be a safer bet.

sigh so much for futureproofing myself, lol

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS