Question Asrock X570 Taichi 4-pin CPU

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
I am upgrading my over 10 year old PC so it's been a while since I played with the internals of a PC (mobility was more important than flat out power, but now I'm in need of power). I purchased a Ryzen 9 3950XT and Asrock X570 Taichi motherboard with plans to upgrade the CPU in about a year when the 5000 series matures. I am hoping to reuse my old Thermaltake 750W PSU which is still rocking along.

I am just realizing that besides the standard 8-pin CPU connector, the Mobo has an extra 4-pin CPU connector. My old PSU does not have any extra CPU connections, just the one 8-pin and 24-pin.

I've read around that the 4-pin is "optional" however the Asrock manual simply states to connect the 4-pin. Nothing about optional. Anybody with this mobo have any experience?

My other thought is, I do have a suite of de-pinning and soldering tools and that I would take a 6-pin PCI cable and re-wire it 4-pin CPU. It's all 12v right? It's just the pins are different. Thoughts?

TIA!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't need to use the 4-pin "extra" socket (unless performing extreme overclocking), just the 8-pin connection. What GPU do you intend to use with the new mobo/CPU/memory?

If your TT PSU is 10 years old, you should start planning now to replace it. PSUs can and do "age" and can take out other components when they depart.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
I'm using a Nvidia Quadro P4000 for a GPU.

My PSU has multiple PCI outputs (more than I would use) so I thought of using one of the outputs for this but it sounds like a new PSU would be a safer bet.

sigh so much for futureproofing myself, lol

Last edited:

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Just ordered a Seasonic Focus PX-650.

Thanks for the help all!

How did your system work out with that PSU? I have been running an EVGA 1300w G2 from about 5 years ago and have had multiple issues with power loss to my system. Just wondering because I just picked up a Corsair RM 850x to swap out and see if that is my issue. I also had been using both the 8-pin and the 4-pin 12v connectors.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
How did your system work out with that PSU? I have been running an EVGA 1300w G2 from about 5 years ago and have had multiple issues with power loss to my system. Just wondering because I just picked up a Corsair RM 850x to swap out and see if that is my issue. I also had been using both the 8-pin and the 4-pin 12v connectors.

Stress testing during the first week showed no issues and it's been rock steady since with SUPER quiet operation most of the time. The PSU has a hybrid mode so if it's not under high load it shuts off the fan which is like 80% of the time for me.

YMMV depending on your system specs and use scenarios. Aside from the GPU, pretty much everything is running off the motherboard so I don't have any cable runs from the PSU other than Mobo, CPU and PCIe. Not overclocked, just the RAM XMP profile switch.

Reactions: Globber and COLGeek

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Stress testing during the first week showed no issues and it's been rock steady since with SUPER quiet operation most of the time. The PSU has a hybrid mode so if it's not under high load it shuts off the fan which is like 80% of the time for me.

YMMV depending on your system specs and use scenarios. Aside from the GPU, pretty much everything is running off the motherboard so I don't have any cable runs from the PSU other than Mobo, CPU and PCIe. Not overclocked, just the RAM XMP profile switch.

I have a little more than your set up going, but not much. 4x SATA devices, 1x water pump on molex, and an AIO on the CPU. Definitely glad I put the CPU on water, even now it hits 70C with the H105 cooler on it. Haven't seen any issues on stress testing, but it just powers off on its own randomly once in a while. I have never had this happen before, lol.

Globber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Weird. It sounds like your PSU should have plenty of overhead with low loads/heat stress. Maybe it's a thermal issue elsewhere? GPU and mobo temps look good?

Yeah thermals look good. I have researched and found that the 3600xt is normal at 60C, highest it hits is upper 60s. Chipset is hitting almost 70C under full load but it cools down to upper 50s within seconds. My 1080ti barely hits 40C ever under full load. It has really perplexed me. Going over everything to make sure all heatsinks are fully tightened, and haven't found anything that stands out. I have heard reports of the X570 Taichi having some power draw issues, and one guy had his catch fire. Had my work laptop plugged into the same power strip and even wondering if that was causing a short somewhere and causing it. Just not sure.