Asrock x58 super computer motherboard problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi I am only using one 9800 gx2 card I have managed to load windows, but I only have one enabled core on the i7 920 now.
but thanks for the information.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi Crashman,
Thanks for your help I know what you mean, its a puzzling problem. I have been told that if you load windows updates in the wrong order it can stop windows recognising multi cores. So Iwill investigate that next.

Many Thanks
WAR994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
The Device Manager Shows 8 Cores but only 1 core is being Used.

Pc Wizard Results Below.
Showing only 1 Core Enabled, I’m Using Windows vista 64-bit ultra

Processor : Intel Core i7 0
Frequency : 266680 MHz - (current : 2666.75 MHz)
Number of Core : 8
Support : Socket 1366 LGA
Cache L1 : 8 x 96 KB
Cache L2 : 4 x 256 KB
Cache L3 : 8 x 8192 KB
FPU Coprocessor : Present
Core 1 Activity : 2%
Core 2 Activity : 0%
Core 3 Activity : 0%
Core 4 Activity : 0%
Core 5 Activity : 0%
Core 6 Activity : 0%
Core 7 Activity : 0%
Number of Core :8
Number of Core Enabled :1
SYSTEM: Vista 64 bit ultra.
CPU I7 920
CPU COOLER: THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME + 120MM FAN.
PSU: THERMALTAKE 1500W
MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X58 SUPERCOMPUTER
MEMORY: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ
SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE: OCZ CORE SERIES V2 60GB AS BOOT DRIVE.
HARD DRIVE: 300GB WD VELOCIERAPTOR.
GPU: NVIDIA 9800X2.
CD/DVD/BLURAY DRIVE.
I’ve been having trouble with this system build from the start with problems booting into windows. I did manage to boot into windows long enough to load vista. This showed my processor at 5.9 in the windows experience rating. However when i tried to update to service pack 2 the system crashed and would not reboot at all. I then had to do a complete re-install of vista then my processor showed up as only 1 core in device manager and system configuration only showed 1 processor, and windows experience went down to 4.7. in the boot configuration advanced settings I checked detect HAL unchecked processor and rebooted the system which then failed to boot into windows unless I loaded the default settings which then booted into windows i went back to system configuration and this showed no changes at all. I then checked HAL and checked processor this resulted in the system booting and 8 cores being showed in device manager, but only shows 1 processor and one thread is system configuration other programs such as cpu-z and pc wizard show only 1 core enabled.

I’ve tried repairing windows and re-installed chip set drivers with no effect, if I alter any settings in system configuration menu the system will not boot.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to activate all cores and solve the boot problem

Many Thanks War994.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure it's not power management inside the CPU itself that disables unused cores when they're not required? I've never used PC Wizard, but I have used Prime 95 64-bit with eight threads enabled for stress testing:

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v258.zip

If the program offers you eight threads, that means it can access all four cores with HyperThreading enabled.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi
As a result of changing the setings in system configuration (unchecking detect hal and number of processors) the system failed to boot, the trick of reseting cmos and pressing f1 to load defaults failed and resulted in a black screen and a flashing curser and nothing else.

Howerver I could still get into Bios and I set the select cores form all to one, saved and f10, system booted first time,

Now device manager showed two cores and (one real and one thread I think) system configuration showed a choice of 1 or 2 processors. All test programs now show activity on two cores. and a improved windows exp index of 5.4 as it is OC to 3.6ghz.

I can uncheck the settings in system configuration and the system will boot every time, but if I change the setings to all or 2 cores in Bios the system fails to boot at all.

I am begining to think the problem lies with the CPU. I have seen that Asrock has new Bios 2.40 for this motherboard,so a Bios flash may help, as I am using 2.30 now. I will also try reseating the cpu.

Regards
War994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi Ive up dated Bios and reseated the Cpu, no change. I can only get the system to boot in to windows if I pick one core in Bios or one processor in system configuration. If I tick one processor in system configuration the system will boot If I uncheck it, it will crash on the next boot and go in to a loop of start up and crash, until I select one core in bios.

Once I have booted the system on one core in Bios I can then check one processor in system configuration advanced boot settings, and change to all cores in Bios. The system will boot from then on, and device manager will show 8 cores, however only one core and one thread is active. I have used Prime 95 as you sugested and it shows only two threads to test.

So I still can't workout if the problem is CPU, Motherboard or Windows.
any ideas

Regards War994

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Crashing with multiple cores enabled could be a power issue. Power issues can also cause memory instability. But the power issue could be the motherboard's voltage regulator OR the power supply.

Which power supply are you using?

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi I am using a Thermaltake Toughpower 1500w psu for this rig.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Can you check the voltage levels in BIOS to make sure it's not a defective unit?

Also, you do have the 8-pin EPS12V connector plugged into the board, along with the 24-pin power connector, right?

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi yes I have the 24 pin and eight pin connector fitted and I checked to make sure it is secured it it's socket. cpu voltage is set at 1.394.
according to the asrock oc tuner.
any ideas.
Regards War994.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi,
Thanks for the help but I can get the system to boot but with only one core enabled. I have been unable to find a way to enable the other cores. any attempt to activate the rest of the cores in bios or windows results in the blue screen of death or boot failure. I think I have a cpu problem I am waiting till I can get a new chip to test.
All the componants are working even quad sli nvidia 9800 x2 is not giving problems but the system mutch slower than it sould be. I now know that the original problem loading windows was caused buy not selecting one core in bios before trying to load vista. I did not think the cpu was the problem as bios reported it as ok.

Regards War994

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Not sure if you got your PC working fully but I had the same problems with my Asrock X48 board and found out that the Asrock assigns the wrong voltage to the memory, I compared the specs of the memory to what the motherboard defaulted to and it was way too low. I increased the voltage from 1.96 to 2.2 (Old DDR2 memory) and it works great now.

:)

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi thanks for the sugestion,
The voltage did need turning up but this is not the problem anymore my pc is only running on 1 core.

mukanil

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi there,

I know you don't have the memory problem anymore, but I do. I get the same irql error, which apparently means memory. However, I also noticed that chipset drivers were being deleted, though I'm not sure if it was the cause or a result of the bsod-ing.

When my chronic bsods first occured a few months ago I had no idea what was going on after trying everything I could think of doing, and finally reformatted and started from scratch, thinking maybe some virus had gotten through. Well, it worked, but only briefly. Then while I was trying to mess with it again, it stayed on long enough to where I got a message from MS (from the checking for solutions thingy) saying I had missing chipset drivers and giving me a link to download them. That appeared to solve it.

Last night, however, I started getting the chronic bsods again. I went and download the latest intel chipset drivers and I'm hoping that does the trick. I'll know when I get home.

I read through this string and it looks to me like you completely changed out your RAM sticks and that solved your problem somehow with the memory issue. Do you think it because the new RAM was better at handling the default voltage? You say you adjusted the voltage, but was that recently or when you switched them out?

I didn't know about the voltage issue until just now, so I'm hoping maybe if I change it then that'll be my ultimate solution to the memory problem. Just need to first figure out what voltage my RAM wants. :)

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi thanks for the input .
I did swap my ram from patriot to corsair but I changed the voltages to the specs the makers recomended in both cases to get it to run at the stock speed of 1600mhz. I have also retried the patriot ram and it works fine. I had to eliminate the componants one at a time, I am now down to the CPU this has been a expensive exersise and I can't afford a new CPU right now I will post the result of the CPU swap and I hope this will cure the problem. The fact that Bios shows every thing working makes it very hard to find the problem componant, and you just dont want it to be the most expensive.

The CPU works but only when one core is selected.

Regards war994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi thanks to everyone who has tried to help with this problem. I fitted a new CPU a I7 920 d0 today and it's problem solved.
I have even overclocked it to 4 ghz using the motherboard EZ overclock option in BIOS, and it is totaly stable under load.
So it's safe to say the CPU was to blame all along, idont know what caused the problem with the CPU but its dosn't work on all cores.

Thanks again
Regards
War994

mukanil

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I realize this is a late post, but I just recently started having the same issue. I do have the C0 of the 920 and a velociraptor, but the CPU isn't the cause. What I found to be the problem is something with the connection between the mobo and HD.

I had become so frustrated with the problem, that I sort of rebuilt the system a little bit at a time. Not rebuilding using different parts or anything, but I did find that when I used a different slot on the mobo for the HD, the problem was solved. I thought perhaps a bad cable so I changed the cable, but after a while it would happen again. Just now it happened again and all I did was remove the plug from the box, took off the cable and then reinserted it into the same slot, and I was then able to boot up fine again. Perhaps next time I will just turn off and unplug the box for a few seconds and see if even that will work.

I may buy the D0 or something else later on, but I want to get sick of the C0 first.