Asrock x58 super computer motherboard problem

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi
I am having a problem loading vista 64 bit on my new system. I have got to the bios screen and hw monitor showes every thing is ok. I selected the default option. and tried to load windows, it gets as far as windows is loading files then when the loading bar is full the screen goes black or somtimes blue and thats it. The hard drive is a 300gb WD velociraptor. Ive tried the drive in my old system it shows up as drive e its ok but blank no files and all the space is free. I have also tried all the default seting in bios with the same result. I have made a sata 11 driver floppy but I am not sure how to use it , Iam prompted to leave it in the drive and load windows, but on reboot it says remove media from drive and restart, then the same thing happens, it does not seem to have done anything. this is my first skt 1366 build so ive not had a problem like this before. Can any one help on this one.

Thanks
War994

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That sounds like a stability issue, not a hard drive issue. Most likly cause is a RAM problem.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
HI thanks for the reply I am using 6bg patriot viper pc 3-12800 1600mhz, at the default seting 1066 ive tried it at 1.65v 1600mhz and ive tried it one modual at a time, with the same results. I will try some different settings to see if that helps.

Regards
War994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

HI thanks for the reply I am using 6bg patriot viper pc 3-12800 1600mhz, at the default seting 1066 ive tried it at 1.65v 1600mhz and ive tried it one modual at a time, with the same results. I will try some different settings to see if that helps.

Regards
War994

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're putting it in the white slots, correct?

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi

yes Iam using the white slots, sorry for not replying Quicker ive been working away from home so havent had a chance to try any new settings as yet. Any recomended bios settings may be of help.

Many Thanks
Regards
War994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi again
I managed to get a bit closer to windows loading, I have now got some text with the blue screen. IRQL--NOT--LESS--OR--EQUAL and the standard windows has closed to prevent damage Ect. Is this due to bad ram sticks. I ran the memoury test and it did not find a problem, but I dont have any way of testing ddr3 on another system.
Regards
War994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

6bg patriot viper pc 3-12800 1600mhz

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I'm not familiar with ASRock motherboards,
but I am more familiar with Intel's ICH (I/O controller hub).

In your BIOS settings, "Standard IDE" usually defaults to 150MB/second.

"AHCI" and "RAID" can handle both 150MB and 300MB/second.

RAID mode is a superset of AHCI functionality e.g.
300MB/second, Native Command Queuing, etc.

In general, Intel advises to set your SATA ports to "RAID"
even if you opt for JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks = Non-RAID).

I agree with this advice, because it's much easier to
add RAID later, even if you begin with non-RAID storage.

Changing a "Standard IDE" system to "AHCI" is possible --
by forcing a driver change in Device Manager; however,
changing "Standard IDE" to "RAID" usually requires
re-running Windows Setup and invoking the F6 option
i.e. re-installing Windows.

If you want to set your BIOS to RAID mode initially,
you'll need to prepare a device driver set with which
to invoke the F6 option during Windows Setup.

Under XP, the F6 option expects the driver
files to be on a floppy disk; I am told that
the drivers can be on other media with VISTA,
e.g. USB thumb drives, but I have avoided VISTA
like the plague.

Another permutation to try is to set your BIOS
to "Standard IDE" and to add a jumper to
your VelociRaptor to change the default
interface speed to 150MB/second.

Imho, I personally suspect this is your problem
(but we won't know for sure until we test this theory :)

Western Digital's jumper settings are
described in this document, which we've
archived for fair use purposes (and for
situations like yours):

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/wd/western.digital.jumper.settings.pdf

Lastly, some motherboard manufacturers add SATA/3G ports
which are wired to integrated controllers that require their
own device drivers before they will work. Unless you know
how to load Windows directly via such SATA ports,
you're much better off to go with the "native" SATA ports
when installing Windows.

"Native" SATA ports are those which are wired
to Intel's ICH10R i.e. I/O Controller Hub, RAID Version 10.

Good luck!

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-supercomputer_2.html#sect0

Intel ICH10R South Bridge provides support for six Serial ATA ports. Since Intel has long given up Parallel ATA support, the manufacturers have to install additional controllers in order to implement this feature on their boards.

As a rule, these chips provide not only Parallel ATA support, but also two more Serial ATA ports that are often laid out on the connector panel as eSATA. ASRock Company once again introduced a very unique approach: ASRock X58 SuperComputer mainboard uses a VIA VT6330 combination controller. Namely there are two controllers integrated into a single chip: one is responsible for Parallel ATA channel for up to 2 devices, while another provides two IEEE 1394a ports, one of which is available on the mainboard connector panel.

[end quote]

MRFS

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi i tried starting from the begining cleared the cmos.
main, set date and time.

zk1t1v.jpg

Smart. Load Performace setup default (ide/sata)

Advanced. voltage control ioh csi voltage set at 1.46v

29ynipf.jpg

2nizm2v.jpg

H/W Monitor

15qx893.jpg

Boot settings
1st boot cd/dvd
2nd boot sata pm wdc wd3000
3rd boot floppy drive

these are the settings i have used

when i press f10 / save and exit
boot from cd/dvd

windows is loading files and the loading bar
when the bar is full it goes to this screen

11j9qir.jpg

if after selecting boot from cd/dvd i press f6 i get windows boot manager that says ems enabled if i press enter i get the loading bar screen again when the bar is full i get a black screen and then nothing.

if i choose to press f8 in boot manager

i get the option to load in safe mode then i press enter
i then stops at this point

wqokg6.jpg

and will go no further.
i have tried allot of different options with the bios settings all seem to end up with this result

any ideas regards war994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi i tried starting from the begining cleared the cmos. main, set date and time.
zk1t1v.jpg

Smart. Load Performace setup default (ide/sata)
Advanced. voltage control ioh csi voltage set at 1.46v
29ynipf.jpg

2nizm2v.jpg

H/W Monitor
15qx893.jpg

Boot settings
1st boot cd/dvd
2nd boot sata pm wdc wd3000
3rd boot floppy drive
these are the settings i have used when i press f10 / save and exit boot from cd/dvd windows is loading files and the loading bar when the bar is full it goes to this screen
11j9qir.jpg

if after selecting boot from cd/dvd i press f6 i get windows boot manager that says ems enabled if i press enter i get the loading bar screen again when the bar is full i get a black screen and then nothing. if i choose to press f8 in boot manager i get the option to load in safe mode then i press enter i then stops at this point
wqokg6.jpg

and will go no further. i have tried allot of different options with the bios settings all seem to end up with this result any ideas regards war994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi, thanks for the information ive tried loading the setup in ahci mode and also in raid mode both of witch require a setup disk however im not sure at what point i get to load the drivers if i press f6 during start up i get windows boot manager with no promt to load drivers and my 300gb WD velociraptor is not recognised in the ide configuration screen in bios. so i am not sure what point im required to press f6 to load from floppy disk i made the floppy disk with the utillity disk that come with asrock x58 motherboard. my velociraptor drive does not have the jumper connections that you referred to in your link so i dont have that option.
regards war994

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Your IRQL error indicates a memory problem, but I don't know whether it's the memory bus (motherboard) or a memory module at fault.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Hi after I tried verious setings without result I decided to use the ez overclock option in Bios just to see what would happen, so I set the overclock to 3.6 ghz and chose profile 1 for the memoury. You can gess what happend next. Yes it booted and loaded vista, However my success was short lived, I loaded the programs from the motherboard disc ok, and all was well untill it started to down load windows updates. then it crashed. I think this time it may be a overheating problem as the system is overclocked to the max.

Should I try to improve cpu cooling, I am using a Termalright ultra 120 extreme at the moment with one fan my be if I try adding a second fan that may help. What do you think.

Regards War994

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I think the overclocking profile modified your memory timings and voltages, making it a little more stable, and you still have a memory issue to figure out.

Sorry.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi
Thanks again for the help.
I think I will order some new ram and see if that helps, then RMA this set.
I will post if that solves the problem.
Regards
war994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi again.
Tried corsair dominator tr3x6g1600c8d 1600mhz memory still no results.
now the only way to boot system is to clear the cmos when i get the option to press f1 to load defaults and continue ( with the wrong time and date settings ) then in boot manager choose to start windows normally the system will boot into windows. any other choices including alterring anything in the bios settings only results in a black screen. if i alter the time on the desktop to download updates ECT. the system will not reboot without going through the same proceedure again.
any ideas on this one regards war994

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I Would just like to say thanks for the assistance . now that ive changed the memory and hard drive i seem to have a new set of problems, my system still doesnt boot normally now only shows 1 core enabled.

Many Thanks War994.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

There's a setting in BIOS for that too!

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi
I have used the bios settings, all cores shows 8 cores in device manager, 2 cores shows 4 cores all working normaly. However system configeration shows only one processor and one thread, task manager, Cpu-z and pc wizard show only one core enabled. This is backed up by a cpu score 4.7 in windows experience rating. before I had to reinstall windows it was on a rating 5.9.
Pc wizard shows 8 cores but only activity on one regardless of load.
I can't find a way to enable the other cores.

Regards war994.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Congratulations, you've finally reached the point in which I'd need to physically see the PC in order to make any further diagnosis. Hopefully someone here will have more ideas?

nicklicausi306

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

Firsdt set bclock
I had the same prblem instaslling vista i had to remove one video card with your same rigg I also used to use Ati drosswire but had to remove one video card during intallation of vista and windows 7 the max video card they can take is two but they have to be installed after the oating system is first installed for SlI its the same problem as the AtI I have.Weel I never had a poblem after that I use Vista ^4 bit so its the same rig as yours ewith all i7 compatiblle i have 1800 mah meory from core i7 ocz setting the bios is two seting on the memory its called XMP profiles they have two and i used the first one while i first overclocked my cpu then used profile 2 nice huh.

then set uncore frequency higher by memory timing increses
then set the memory
bump up bclock
higher bclock to 150 max w/ air or water to raise the mamory
her memory frset the cpuv ma
[/change cpu voltage to mauall in memory timings keeping in manual settings both freq.