Question ASRock X99X Fatal1ty won't detect M.2

Aug 29, 2019
Need some help figuring out if my MB is broken or not

I've got a ASRock X99X Fatal1ty Killer MB and installed XPG SX8200 Pro SSD.

Before I installed it I had the OS running on 2 Sata SSD's running in RAID 0. When the M.2 card was installed it didn't show in UEFI. I followed this guide.

I did the following:
- Launch Storage OpROM Policy setting to UEFI Only. As seen here
SATA Mode should be set to either AHCI (default) or RAID. I chose RAID. As seen here
Then saved and restart back to BIOS
It then says that I must make sure the boot order is UEFI: <Installation Media Device Name> first and not AHCI: <Installation Media Device Name>. The AHCI did not appear but I got USB: <Installation Media Device Name> instead. So I chose the EUFI option.

After that I saved and exited. I can also mention that I disconnected the old SSD's so the M.2 was the only one connected. When I get as far to chose the place I want Windows installed nothing appears. I've tried with SATA mode on AHCI, CSM disabled but that didn't help. Eventually I gave up and thought I'd just go back to the old SSD in RAID 0. I had deleted the RAID so build a new on using the UEFI's "easy raid installer" or what it's called. That worked and I can see them UEFI but the same problem happens when I want to install Windows. No disk are shown...

So now I don't have any way of installing Windows... I'm leaning on just replacing the MB and CPU since the main problem and why I did want to reinstall windows was this insane boot time. After some googling I've found out that the problem might just be with the X99 plattform and it's insane long preboot. And that makes sense cause even without windows it takes FOREVER to boot to UEFI.... Bah.... I really don't want too though since I've got a custom waterloop with hardtubes which means I've gotta drain the whole system and bend new tubes for the CPU

Any advice is more than welcome!

Aug 29, 2019
I searched up and down but could not find that setting you showed. If you watch this clip you can see how my setup looks like. It's the exact same one. I've linked to the storage config part. After trying every setting there is I eventually gave up and installed the old SSD's.

I did noticed though that there was something wrong with the NVMe-controller.

It's in norwegian but says:

This unit cannot start (code 10)

A error has occured on a I/U-card

Tried uninstalling and re-scan but that didn't help. So now I'm at the point of just giving up. I'm starting to suspect that it might be time for a new MB/CPU. Got a X99/5820K combo. Thinking of upgrading to Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra with a 9700K. That would be nice! Even if I got this thing to work POST still takes forever to finish. For me to get into EUFI it's takes about 4-5 minutes. So going in and out of this to test stuff is soooo excruciating :(

Aug 29, 2019
First I wanna thank you for taking the time and helping me! This forum has been the most responsive and much thanks to you. As for the BIOS its updated with the latest version 🤔

The reason to have the M.2 drive as the only storage device connected is that you won't need to choose where to install Windows.

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup

Guide to install Windows 10 on NVMe drive is in this thread: