ASRock xtreme3 gen3 HDD shows in F11 boot menu but NOT in boot options/priority UEFI menu.

rtwice

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I have an ASRock xtreme3 gen3 mobo and went to switch the SATA mode to AHCI from IDE, I switched to AHCI tried to boot and the computer didn't boot (since windows wasn't installed in AHCI mode I assume this is because the drivers were missing, but some others online said it would still boot into safe mode) so I toggled the SATA mode back to IDE.

Now I thought this would just put things back the way they were. But, now the motherboard is not booting from my same primary HDD it is instead trying to boot from a separate storage HDD I have.

The problem:

Primary boot HDD (which is plugged into SATA3_1 on the xtreme3 gen3) is recognized in BIOS/UEFI, shows up in the boot menu, but does NOT show up as selectable in the boot priority list when setting the 3 priorities to boot from. The only 3 things that show up in the boot priority list are my optical drive in SATA3_0, a separate storage drive in SATA2_2, and a USB attached storage device.

HOWEVER, if on startup I press F11 to get to the Boot menu and just pick my primary boot HDD Windows boots/runs fine.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my primary HDD to show up as selectable in the BOOT PRIORITY list in the Uefi Boot Options menu where you select boot options #1 - 3?

Thank you for any help!

Solution
I had a rig with an ASRock xtreme motherboard and I remember having exactly the same issue. If I remember correctly in the boot menu there was also a few folders you could go into named something like "BBS Hard Drive Options." From there you could see a choice of all available hard drives, and you could choose the boot drive there. After that the correct boot drive was an option in the main 'boot order' list.

Take a look and see if you have any folder icons in the boot section you can drill down into.

Luminary

Admirable
I had a rig with an ASRock xtreme motherboard and I remember having exactly the same issue. If I remember correctly in the boot menu there was also a few folders you could go into named something like "BBS Hard Drive Options." From there you could see a choice of all available hard drives, and you could choose the boot drive there. After that the correct boot drive was an option in the main 'boot order' list.

Take a look and see if you have any folder icons in the boot section you can drill down into.

Solution

rtwice

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016

Yes! That was exactly the solution, thank you so much. Can't believe I didn't even notice that line right below the 3 boot priority dropdowns.

For anyone else that may see this, on the xtreme3 gen 3 it lists 3 dropdowns for boot order #1-3 then right below it has 3 more lines for: Hard Drive BBS, Optical drive BBS, and something else like USB BBS I forget the exact name. So like Luminary said, when you click on each of those lines it shows all of the drives of that type and you rank them with the highest ranked becoming one of the options for the upper boot priority list. I moved my boot drive to the top of the Hard drive BBS ranking list and then it showed up above in the boot orders, I moved it to #1 in that list and then the computer booted properly.

Thank you so much again for your help and quick response!