Question Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 wont POST with 00 code

Oct 19, 2019
Eek! So the issue is that my PC has suddenly, for no obvious reason, refused to POST. The onboard LED just displays 00 and never changes, after maybe 20 seconds the thing shuts itself off. All the lights and fans come on and spin up.

The thing is, i've had this happen a few years ago. After a bunch of reboots it sorted itself out. Not so this time. Since the last time it happened, i've moved it from Aus to the UK, replaced the GPU and put it i an entirely new case, and for the last 9 months it has been working fine with one weird situation: When I shut it down, I still see lights to the USB devices such as my USB DAC. It will refuse to turn back on no matter how long left off. I have to actually flip the switch at the back of the PSU, and wait maybe 20 seconds. There'll be an electronic "thump" sound from my connected speakers as the USB lights go out. Then I can switch the PSU back to on, hit the case power button and it will boot up. Another thing: Maybe every 4th boot, it will blue screen upon startign windows. I hit the reset switch, and 100% of the time it works fine after that.

So I suspected a PSU issue and I bought one of those PSU testers off amazon. Plugged in the mobo and cpu cables and it shows everythign is running at correct voltages. So would seem PSU is OK?

I've also tried removing all USB devices, re-seating RAM and all the power cables. I've tried clearig the CMOS. Still no luck after about 50 power off/power on reboots.

My specs are:

EVGA Gold 850W PSU
ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel 6600k CPU
Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 DDR4 2133Mhz RAM (2x8GB)
MSI GEForce 2080 GTX GPU.

Any ideas?
Asrock

Oct 19, 2019
OK so then how do i best determine which one it is? I feel like i'm up for big bucks no matter what? Would it be worth trying to re-seat the CPU or is that a fools errand?