Asrock Z170 gaming K6+ boot twice cold boot

kronpas

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
As the title says, every time I cold boot (like unplug the power cord then plug it back in) the system lights up once (fan rotates etc), but turns off right away then boots again around 0.5s later. Everything seems to be working fine (assembled my current rig around a month ago) and I bought it from a local dealer so no worry about parts breaking but this behavior makes me curious. I ve updated to latest BIOS.

Any suggestion?

Solution
your mb and ram are not set right. what your seeing is the mb trying to set the ram to cpu speed and failing. turning off (built in over clock failure) and trying again. download cpu-z look at the memory info look for the xmp profile line. then go into the bios look for xmp pofile for the ram turn it on and use profile one. make sure profile one lines up with cpu-z info. save and exit. on the next cold boot the issue should not be there.
your mb and ram are not set right. what your seeing is the mb trying to set the ram to cpu speed and failing. turning off (built in over clock failure) and trying again. download cpu-z look at the memory info look for the xmp profile line. then go into the bios look for xmp pofile for the ram turn it on and use profile one. make sure profile one lines up with cpu-z info. save and exit. on the next cold boot the issue should not be there.

Solution
Updating to latest BIOS returns all BIOS settings to default values.
You thought, "XMP is automated". XMP is [Disabled] by default in the BIOS.

You might want to write down your BIOS settings before updating BIOS if you have a lot of custom settings for overclock.

kronpas

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
@smorizio http://i.imgur.com/Kb1NYyR.jpg is this fine? It was 'auto' before.

@Calvin 7: good point, I didnt think about it. Default is auto, not off it seemed - what I did after updating BIOS was to increase clock to x43 and to switch fans to silent mode, never thought of looking at ram settings again.

Looks line it boots fine at the moment, will update if anything new turns up. Thank all for your help.