AsRock Z170 OC Formula vs AsRock Extreme 7+

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Easy question. Which motherboard should I choose? Keep in mind, The OC Formula will only be $10 more for me despite list price, however I also lose the add-on usb 3.1(a & c ports) front panel, the DVI (unimportant, I have GFX), seems like 2 usb 2.0 ports (I believe this is a mobo header, as the I/O back panel is the same), 1 fan connector, and one of the other Intel networking chip in favor of 3 more power phases, the 8+4 pin atx 12v power delivery, ability to switch off pcie lanes, and better stock benchmark scores. I assembled a comparison chart to make viewing easier, and to make your own opinions on/catch things I didnt.

To make things short, with a fairly moderate oc on a i5-6600k of 4.4-4.5ghz which motherboard would be the best bang for the buck?

I do like the 8+4 atx 12v design + the extra power phases as I see it could even out stability on the OC Formula combined with its seemingly higher OC ability, boot into bios setting, and lane disabling, however the Extreme 7+ seems to have more to offer on the board with the included front panel, extra USB 2.0 header, 2nd networking chip, and still retains 15 power phases all with the same caps, mosfets, 60A chokes, and sound chip. Not to mention I find the mild gold/yellow on the Extreme 7+ to be more attractive than the vibrant bumblebee yellow on the Formula.

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/316334-316333 (I apologize hyperlink was being finicky, hopefully link works now.)

I appreciate any answers. Thanks.

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

I actually decided to go with the OC Formula. Since the price difference was only $10 and I will only be using one of the lan chips anyway. I would rather get the Board to do stronger OC on, aswell I dont believe the extreme 7+ is an 8 layer PCB and actually has 6 less powerphases. Not 2-3 as stated in the chart

They are both great boards. But I believe that the OC Formula will be untimately stronger in the long run.

I appreciate your input though!

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
I've got the Z170 OC Formula board on its way from Newegg, along with a i7 6700K CPU - interesed in suggestions for a fast PCIe SSD for the OS.

Good Luck to both of us...;-)

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
No worries at all. Best of luck. My OC Formula was DOA, fried my 6600k along with it (I assume because it had complete lack of Vregulation.) -_- atleast im covered on RMA. Should be here by Saturday. Just praying it didnt take the RAM with it.

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Same here - DOA - CPU cooked - not sure about memory.

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

I had about the same situation - the mobo was gone before it knew what hit it - ;)

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Hmm....did yours have bios chip 1.50? Wondering if that version bios is bad.

Heres to hoping my ram is still good, and my replacement isn't another mess. Ordered a EVGA g2 750w PSU just incase my older antec tpq-1000 was the issue (even though it runs my old pc still fine). Never know. Could be unstable. Best of luck to you! Hopefully they didn't have a bad manufacturing batch. Maybe ill get lucky, other board shipped from California, the replacement is coming from Tennessee.

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I had about the same situation - the mobo was gone before it knew what hit it - ;)

Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Because I cant find a single other review, post, forum, or anything saying a shred of negativity about this board.

Which warehouse did your board come from originally? CA, TN, IN, or NJ? Unless you're in BC, then Richmond or Richmond Hill? Im honestly wondering if our boards came off a bad line of them, that or like I said bios 1.5 is completely unstable and sends the HW into death runs.

This time around im going to skip date and time when I get my new board and flash bios 1.7 onto it, and see if I have any issues.

Also, another strange thing is when I returned my CPU to microcenter, the help desk told me another person came in with the same "cooked" cpu situation the day before me. So in the end, im wondering if the skylakes have a manufacturing defect (oddball because, you know, intel, but not impossible) and the processors are killing the mobos, not the other way around.

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

My mobo came from CA, as did the CPU and memory. I never got it to do anything, never got to post. I have no idea what cause what and never will. After thinking about the situation for about 2 seconds, I allowed the child in me to run wild and I trashed the entire unit - mobo, cpu, cooler, and memory.

Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do - it was stupid, but it was fun - :D

SoSublime

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Haha. I understand completely. :lol: I spent my entire night on the thing. Seeing 00 atleast 50 times, was to say nicely....very aggrivating.

On the bright side. Im 99% sure im getting one from a different batch as its from all the way to the east, as well my 6600k is from a different batch too. Plus, my PSU I ordered yesterday at 3pm was at my doorstep by 12 today, and since it comes with the ATX jumper, Its confirmed alive and not burning up instantly. So I guess things arent too bad. Now just crossing my fingers the RAM is still good. Otherwise, more days in delay. :no:

24c

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

GOOD LUCK