ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan
For those that want built in Wifi, in the ATX form factor, this is the cheapest option, if you are overclocking. If I were building for someone, that needed such a setup, this would definitely be the board I would choose. For most people, I think this board is plenty.

kwc813

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
I wouldn't use it for myself, but as "...HADES" alluded, it definitely has a place. But...why AsRock needs 3 such similar boards at the same price point is beyond me. I do like the WiFi in the ATX form factor, but why run with an outdated chipset?

Yes, Wifi controller...I wasn't clear. "I understand less than I know sometimes" is something I hear enough of anymore to start saying it more and more often myself. If it's really unclear to a client or a newbie, reason should dictate simplification. If we weren't smart, we wouldn't be here wondering what we missed...downside, I'm probably only as smart as 10% of the 2% that are interested. I can split hairs but will that affect the quality of the build in a client's eyes...Heh...probably not. Face it, it's a labor of love not driven by necessity.

So many tests, yet as usual it boiled down to features. I too am more likely to find value in onboard wifi and bluetooth; I've never run more than a single graphics card, and wouldn't use more than one M.2 drive.
This board would make my short list, and with the discount, likely come out on top.

logainofhades

Titan

Not sure what you mean by outdated chipset. Z270 is Intel's current chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To save $6-$8

I think he meant the 802.11ac controller.

CaptCalamity

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
I picked one of these up at PAX East, paired with a i5-7600k I am able to run at 5.1Ghz, for daily use though I run it at 4.8Ghz at 1.28v. Sure it lacks a few features I would like (USB 3.1, but I don't actually have any 3.1 devices so it's not really a loss) but it's a solid performer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Possibly, but those would need to be single-slot cards with external power input. I don't believe there would be enough PCIe power for six mid-performance cards without additional power cables. 2d operation would probably be OK, or six otherwise low-power cards.

Zulziect

Prominent
May 28, 2017
we are using the Asrock z270 Killer SLI

8BG DDR4 Ram

Intel Celeron processor

6 Sapphire nitro+ 8gb RX580 cards

We have tried using windows, linux and ethos but are having the following issue:

We are able to mine with 4 cards no problem but the moment we install the 5th card it bombs out two cards and only three become available

The error we are getting is insufficient system resources

Completely stumped dont know if its the 580s or the board

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since I don't have single-slot graphics cards, I'd love to know the answer myself. Have you tried asking ASRock?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could take a while. Most motherboard companies have spent the last 3 weeks getting ready for Computex and will spend the week after Computex following up on Computex-related messages. And then there's news that the staff not already busy supporting Computex are working on two new product launches...

If you ping me back in about a week I can probably get you a direct contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS