Asrock Z370 Pro4 vs Gigabyte Z370-HD3P for OC 8600K

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I already have 8600K. I am planning on recycling all other parts of the computer, so only thing down to choose is the mobo and ram. I also have old PCI version of x-fi platinum, which I am planning to use... so highend mobo with no legacy pci would not work for my case..

I searched around, and I came down to two mobos, Asrock Z370 Pro4 and Gigabyte Z370-HD3P. I read about VRMs, but that's over my head and I have no clue on VRM quality of those boards. Which board should I go with as far as stability in overclocking? Hoping to OC to 4.7GHz or so, not extreme OC...

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Gigabyte usually drops features/component quality after first reviews are out for R1.0 units, and even if not, they tend to have less features/lower specs than a similar priced unit from asrock.
Asrock is also one of the best right now when it comes to vrm quality, while still offering same/similar amount of power phases...

mewho

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Gigabyte Z370-HD3P has much better integrated sound then Asrock Z370 Pro4, I switched form Pro4 to HD3P for that very reason. There were buzzing problems on Pro4 while moving mouse.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
The 892 chip is fine, and unless you run +100$ speakers/headphones its not gonna make a real difference,
and at that level i would rather get a dedicated card anyway, rather than using onboard.

I ran a lot of boards with the 892, no issues, might be (a certain) setup, as buzzing is usually a problem with (common) ground etc,
or how the (usb and audio) wires are run, and NOT an issue with the sound chip (itself).

At least i prefer the better board, than a lower grade/feature set just to have a (mediocre) increase in sound quality.