[SOLVED] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) and i5-9600 DDR4 3000 OC tips?

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone could point me to a few tips on doing some overclocking on the Mobo and cpu in the subject line:
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1151 (300 Series)
I have the i5-9600K 6-core and 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000

I REALLY don't NEED to overclock this, it's a beast as is, especially with my 500GB WD NVME M.2 X 2 in it as well as a SATA Samsung Evo 960 1TB and then 2 8TB HGST storage drives@7200 rpm.

I do have the Phantom Gaming 4 app installed which lets you simply slide up the cpu, ram speed etc and reboot and you're instantly OC'd which I have got this 6-core up to a very solid (days now) 4.5GHz and it IS water cooled using a Corsair AIO Water cooler. SO, in a nutshell I prob won't push it more as it's a BEAST already and has a GTX 1070 8GB Zotac as well but I would just like to gain some more user-knowledge on it and OC settings since I'm new to this board (as mentioned I'm from the Gigabyte LGA 1150 (Haswell 3.4GHz quadcore) era and this board has FAR more to it than my old setup. I THOUGHT this board had an EZ OC app/setting on it in the EUFI but the EZ OC options area is greyed out, maybe because I've tweaked it already using the app once inside the OS (Win 10 64-bit Pro) Also, I think 16GB is plenty for this considering the specs especially ddr 3000, I'm assuming many would agree that 32GB would be overkill, but I have 2 slots sticking their tongue out at me lol. I REALLY don't want to go over 16GB as even in Premiere and Photoshop, with the specs and nvme I really don't need more, would you agree?

Thanks!! Any links or pointers are very appreciated.

Solution
Jan 15, 2019
Mm ur rig is nice and its all good u need an 240 or 280 cooler if ur gooing aio if air go for 135 go for be quite and 16gb is needed its 8 gb is minimum overall its good

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
@Hunter47, bI think you misunderstood my questions, it's already water cooled is what I said, so the temps are excellent. That's why I want to OC to 5GHz or maybe a tiny bit more for fun (I don't really need to) just tinkering. I have 3 120mm case fans already in the case but I run them on silent mode since they're pretty much unneeded and there's one 120mm on the radiator so cooling is excellent, maybe overkill but you can never be too cool on a computer. IMO. I just want to learn what to tweak to OC a tiny bit. It shouldn't take much but I'm new to this board. Tons of options .. :)

I simply want to learn about overclocking this cpu amd ,mobo, and also, it won't boot if fast boot is selected "on" in the UEFI settings, the minute I turn that off it boot perfectly....ideas?

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

Couple of things.
First off, it is strongly encouraged to overclock cpu using the BIOS as opposed to any software. In fact, this is how every overclock needs to be done. Try to find a way to overclock your i5 in the BIOS and don't do it via the Phantom software.

Second, 4.5 Ghz is a very very mild overclock for the i5 9th gen. Depending on what you do with your computer (gaming, video editing, etc..) 4.5 Ghz may be overkill / or just enough / or lacking. But practically, it is definitely possible and quite common for an i5-9600k to hit 5.0 Ghz all cores.

But as you go up on the frequency, you will need to increase the Vcore to make it stable. An increase in Vcore is followed by an increase in core temperature. This is why you see that at 4.5 Ghz your temp is "excellent" with a 120mm AIO liquid cooler.
BUT this cooler will certainly not be sufficient if you approach the 5.0 Ghz mark. For such high clock speed, you will need a high-end air cooler, or, if you want an AIO liquid cooler, it will need to be at last 240mm. Personally, I wouldn't go below 280mm or 360mm.

Lastly, you will need a good quality PSU to accompany your high overclock.
You haven't listed your PSU yet, but I hope you have a good one, preferably Tier 1 gold rated and at least 600W. A low-end PSU can significantly impact your overclocking capability and damage your components.

As far as overclocking in the BIOS goes, there will be lots of youtubing to do. Overclocking features in the BIOS is slightly different for each specific motherboard. I will leave that to you.

Reactions: faslanetech
Solution

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017

thank you, yes I already know to do it in the bios not the software I was just simply saying that in the software it's very easy to achieve without it crashing etc so I realize that it can certainly be done, that was my major point. so yes I just wanted to know more or less if 5 gigahertz was pushing it or not and I'll probably stick to about 4.7 or so comfortably because of the all-in-one cooler I have which I am not interested in replacing whatsoever. It's just not that important to me and then speeds I'm getting now are excellent but I was just wanting to get a little background info which you have provided so thank you. :)

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017

and I definitely hear you regarding the all-in-one cooler but I do also have a 120 mm fan on each side using a push poll through the radiator and out the back of the machine and a pull system with three fans on top pulling warm air out the top so I'd be very surprised if this wasn't efficient enough to get 5 gigahertz as is but I'll probably stick to about 4.7 or 4.8 to be safe I've already got that far as is but it got a little warm, but I also forgot to crank my fans back up to turbo. One more question, if you don't mind that is. Is there a reason my computer wouldn't boot up when I select fast food? If I select fastboot it boots back into the BIOS immediately like something's wrong, if I turn off fast Boot it boots up perfectly and in about 10 seconds but an identical CPU and board next to it is booting up in like 6 seconds literally from power off and I triple checked the settings and I can't for the life of me find out what's causing it not that it's as big deal but I would simply like to use fastboot as well. Thanks for the advice :)