ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 Review: The 2.5GbE Value Play

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
5GbE switches should all be wired for it, but I don't know which 10GbE switches will support it.

May 14, 2018
You need a switch that supports it yes, 2.5G and 5G are part of the N-Base-T standard. Some 10G switches will also support these speeds, now or in the near future.

Jan 4, 2019
Was there a section on the performance of the 2.5GbE that I missed? Or is the network speed not tested in this article?

May 14, 2018
I did not see benchmarks on ethernet either; however, by the nature of how copper ethernet works a PHY is a PHY, it will always transmit at line rate (e.g. 2.5Gbps always). The only way to tune it is to change packet size, e.g. enable jumbo frames you will get more data through since there is less preamble/packet info transmitted, more raw data. These PHY's need to interoperate so they follow a strict standard and data rate with one acting as a master and the other as a slave to stay in sync. So there isn't too much point in benchmarking network cards. The thing about these cards though is since their data rates are higher there is less latency on the MAC layer since they have to operate faster in order to support the faster line rates. In a way it is overclocking the PHY to MAC layer with faster ethernet standards.

USAFRet

Titan
Can someone please tell me if the Gigabyte AORUS NVMe SSD is compatible with this motherboard? It looks like the bottom-right M.2 slot has a built-in heatsink, but I wouldn't mind removing it if I need to. Or could I use a different slot for my primary M.2 SSD? Below is a link to the Newegg page of the SSD to which I am referring. Any help is appreciated!

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012
Please start a new thread for your question.

This one is a year old, and has nothing to do with drives and motherboards.