ASRock Z390 Taichi ATX Motherboard Review: i9 With More Power

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Will you be reviewing the Tacihi Ultimate as well? That is the board I purchased and I am wondering how much of a difference there is between the regular and the ulti!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. You could even see it as ASRock's second bite at the apple, since it has the same voltage regulator and will be tested with newer firmware.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks!

Do you recommend when I first install my mobo/cpu that I check for board bios updates, or just ride it out for a while until everyone gets settled with the new cpus?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thus far they're only advertising better 3DMark performance, and if that's the case I'd wait for one that gives it better voltage control for greater efficiency and overclocking.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks Crashman, I appreciate the info.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the review, like the other poster I look forward to the Taichi Z390 Ultimate review, as that is the board I'm inclined towards from a feature set perspective, and perhaps it will show improvement with newer firmware.

At of today, it looks like ASRock has made a 1.38 version BIOS available as a "Beta" release. I"m going to sit tight and track their BIOS releases before building with the i9-9900K. I'm a little surprised there hasn't already been more evolution as the vendor has had these boards and CPU's to test with for quite some time now.

The Tachi Z390/i9-9900K power draw, combined with a single newer RTX 2080 GPU, isn't going to leave allot of head room for a 650W power supply.

A couple other more minor details for ASRock (and all mobo manufacturers) to consider:

(1) Please make the integrated USB type A connectors color coded to reflect their version. They're all blue, which means you look back there to plug something in and then have to grab the manual or pull up a PDF to see which is 3.1, 3.0, and so forth. That's the last thing you want to do.

(2) Also, a couple "dummy" SATA plugs which the consumer could plug into SATA headers which are disabled when using M.2 drives might save people allot of grief, and possibly even prevent some support calls.

(3) Thank You ASRock for including DTS Connect! Allot of us have nice high end surround speakers you can't or wouldn't want to drive directly from the mobo, and connecting a monitor at greater than 60Hz (or via DisplayPort) makes HDMI audio pass-through to a home theater receiver a non-starter. DTS connect (or Dobly Digital Live) should be a standard feature from every mobo vendors mid-tier or better products.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
They say its SLI capable but yet have the same "stupid" 3 slots spacing resulting in the typical air starvation of the main card since it will be obstructed by the second card. Todays big custom air cooled cards are 2.5 to 3 pcie slots wide, not the old typical 2 pcie - When will the MB makers "evolve" to the new width of the cards for multigpu and who will be the first?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Even the founder's edition cards are only two slots, and most of the oversized cards are 2.5 slots. A 3-slot cooling design is a defective design, and such cards should be called out for that. We're already putting the top x16 slot in the case's 2nd slot hole to make space for oversized CPU coolers, voltage regulators and DIMM cooling, and there's a scarcity of 8-slot cases, so two three-slot cards at 4-slot spacing doesn't even make sense. For those reseaons, if I review a board with the 2nd x16 slot aligned to the case's 6th card hole, I'll probably just write it off as a bad idea.

Oct 23, 2018
im not american bad english, n he said the asus mobo formula was using fakes mosfets .... anyway... i had some asrocks before n i never had headaches.... ty.. im new here.... its too much propaganda n i get confused here...

Oct 23, 2018

nice ty... but now im concerned with possibility.. is there any software to find outo it? ty

Software can't tell you if any of the components on the motherboard are fake. Either you have to know what you are looking at and be able to identify the components, or trust reputable review sites (like ours!) to ensure that a product performs as expected.

I don't trust anything a dude on the internet says. I actually saw someone add a second antenna to a wireless access point because multiple antenna WAPs are better. Just soldered it onto the pad for the single antenna. I guarantee that the only change was interference from the new antenna.

Oct 23, 2018

ty,,, and yes, those 3/5 dbi antenas r pure crap....

In My Humble Opinion, the multiple antenna setups with proper MIMO beamforming are worth the money - well, the ones that work properly. But "Many antennas" has become like "Moar cores" - anything with more is seen as better.