Question ASRock Z490 Taichi bad memory channel?

Dec 27, 2020
I can get the computer to POST with a memory module in either B2 or B1, but not in either A2 or A1. I can also get the computer to POST if I populate both B2 and B1, with a total of 32 GB running in Single Channel Memory Mode. This suggests that there’s something wrong with memory channel A on this motherboard. Do you agree?

Dec 27, 2020
You're right! I removed the CPU and discovered a couple of bent pins in the top left corner. Drat! I attempted to unbend them with a needle, but with no success (very difficult to see). I put the CPU back and discovered the problem was still there. Oh well, at least the computer POSTs with 32 GB running in single channel mode. I think I'll be fine just running in this mode.

I guess I hadn't properly seated the CPU before I latched it into place. Darn it!

edo101

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
You're right! I removed the CPU and discovered a couple of bent pins in the top left corner. Drat! I attempted to unbend them with a needle, but with no success (very difficult to see). I put the CPU back and discovered the problem was still there. Oh well, at least the computer POSTs with 32 GB running in single channel mode. I think I'll be fine just running in this mode.

I guess I hadn't properly seated the CPU before I latched it into place. Darn it!
@gullinx Um, you should contact Asrock support and get that motherboard replaced. I don't think it's advisable to run a mobo long term with bent pins. Sucks I know but 1 month without your computer is better than years of possible instability

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS