[SOLVED] AsRock Z490M won't boot anymore (CPU LED)

Jan 17, 2021
Hello,

I just build a new computer today using:

• AsRock Z490M Pro4
  • Intel i5-10400 CPU
  • Sapphire RX580 4GB GPU
  • corsair TX650M PSU
  • 24 GB DDR4 RAM @2133MHz

Everything was working good but I try to boot the computer again later and I was getting no output on the monitor. Then I check and see that the VGA and BOOT LED on the EZ debug were on (not blinking). I then try to remove my GPU and I also remove a USB key on a front panel port. Then the CPU LED was turning steady red. Now, no matter what I do (reseating the GPU, the RAM, doing cold boot with the minimum hardware, using another PSU etc...), the CPU LED won't disappear and I'm unable to boot again.

Please help me I'm hopeless and never see that before.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hi,

I haven't change anything between when it was working and when in stops. I try with only one stick in the slot recommended for one stick and I observe the same thing. I am in minimum config, CPU (along with its fan), one stick of RAM, PSU, and that's all. All I have is a steady CPU LED on the ez debug of the motherboard.

do you have a backup computer , or maybe borrow one from your best mate , and use another device to test your computer components one after another , that s a final solution i guess . hope you got your problem solved soon
Jan 13, 2021
Hey thanks for the answer. Yes I clear the BIOS and try again but it did not help.

then check the motherboard power switch headers connections , bridge the 2 pins with something metal instead of pushing the power switch on pc case if it wont boot , at least you know pc case has nothing do with this issue

and if you own some tools , you can try to check all the voltage in the motherboard slots , check out if these values are abnormal , cause your already tried remove gpu , i assume that graphic card is all fine , then you can narrow down the issue source to cpu , motherboard , psu , rams

cpu broken chance is pretty low , i guess we can kick it out maybe

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
then check the motherboard power switch headers connections , bridge the 2 pins with something metal instead of pushing the power switch on pc case if it wont boot , at least you know pc case has nothing do with this issue

and if you own some tools , you can try to check all the voltage in the motherboard slots , check out if these values are abnormal , cause your already tried remove gpu , i assume that graphic card is all fine , then you can narrow down the issue source to cpu , motherboard , psu , rams

cpu broken chance is pretty low , i guess we can kick it out maybe
I try to power the computer with a screwdriver, same result. I check the voltage of My PSU with a small wire betw en green and black wires and using a multimeter I get the expected voltage.

Jan 13, 2021
I try to power the computer with a screwdriver, same result. I check the voltage of My PSU with a small wire betw en green and black wires and using a multimeter I get the expected voltage.

check out all psu wires connections , especially cpu power connector , see if some of them is not plugged in corrected

and a link picture shows details inside your computer case could be helpful

Jan 17, 2021
check out all psu wires connections , especially cpu power connector , see if some of them is not plugged in corrected

and a link picture shows details inside your computer case could be helpful
I check all connectors and test with two other PSU. same results anyway. I can add a picture this evening.

What might have changed between when all was working and when boot failed?

Your 24gb of ram is a clue that ram might be the issue.
There are no matched sets of 24gb of ram.

Try with just one stick of ram installed in the slot that is indicated by your motherboard manual for one stick.

Have you ever removed the processor from the socket after it was first installed?

Getting down to minimum components is the right approach.

Jan 17, 2021
What might have changed between when all was working and when boot failed?

Your 24gb of ram is a clue that ram might be the issue.
There are no matched sets of 24gb of ram.

Try with just one stick of ram installed in the slot that is indicated by your motherboard manual for one stick.

Have you ever removed the processor from the socket after it was first installed?

Getting down to minimum components is the right approach.
Hi,

I haven't change anything between when it was working and when in stops. I try with only one stick in the slot recommended for one stick and I observe the same thing. I am in minimum config, CPU (along with its fan), one stick of RAM, PSU, and that's all. All I have is a steady CPU LED on the ez debug of the motherboard.

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

do you have a backup computer , or maybe borrow one from your best mate , and use another device to test your computer components one after another , that s a final solution i guess . hope you got your problem solved soon

Solution