ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 with Ivy. No Post.

oatgirl66

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
New Build. Can't post. LEDs on. Fans on. No video output on VGA, HDMI, or DVI. Error code 55, which makes sense since the BIOS needs update for Ivy...but I can't update what I can't see :(. I unplugged/replugged the power cords for the board (both 8 and 24 pin). Disconnected everything except PSU, 1 RAM stick, keyboard, VGA, and USB memory stick ... and case fans, leds, etc. Moved memory cards around in the slots, both single and double. Didn't affect anything. Tried hitting F2/Del to boot off of USB with new BIOS, but didn't affect video output either. What else can I try??!!!

MB ASROCK|Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 1155 R
PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-650HX 650W RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K
MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

UPDATE: Asrock provided new BIOS chip; contacted via tech support request on their website (http://174.142.97.10/support/tsd.asp). New BIOS chip resolved problems.

Solution
IMO There's nothing wrong with MOBO just find LGA1155 SANDY BRIDGE by friend or someone who you know put it in your Z68 MOBO FLASH/UPGRADE your BIOS after that put your new IVY BRIDGE and enjoy... :)
But if you couldn't find it i dont think there might be another way.
Make sure power is off when playing with components. :)

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
It seems obvious, you can't use the cpu because you don't have the update, you can get the update cuz you can't use the cpu. Solution? Either use a different cpu to get the update or you can see if your mobo will let you use a usb drive to flash bios with or with out the cpu in.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
lol u cant flash the bios without a working cpu.

you need a more recent bios on the mobo.

so yeah, your only solution is to find a temporary sandybridge cpu to put in to update your bios on your mobo. have any friends with a sandy theyd be willing to lend you for a few minutes?

if not, rma (really id rma it anyway, z68 doesnt take advantage of all of ivys features. you want z77)

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I don't think that's true, z68 has all the same as z77 except
- supports usb3 ports, natively
- pcie 3.0 cpu controlled (which ivy doesn't fully take advantage of either)
- irst 11 w/ intel caching

Anyways, rma would suck, hope you can borrow some ones sb.

mubin

Distinguished
Core i5 3570K dosent support Z68, instead it support B75, H77, Z75, Z77 chipset. Z68 is for 2nd gen core i5 cpu, like i5-2500k but not for 3rd gen like yours. You have to upgrade to Ivy Bridge supported motherboard like i said.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

My z68 board supports ivy bridge, why wouldn't it support the 3570K?

mubin

Distinguished

Do you use Ivy Bridge? I see you are using Sandy Bridge i5-2500k. Whatever, intel compatible product dont have z68 listed, only B75, H77, Z75, Z77 listed.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
fact is ivybridge didnt exist when z68 came out, in order to be compatible with ivybridge it needs a more current bios on it

and you dont think whats true? you just listed 3 features right there that z68 doesnt use with ivybridge. want another? virtu mvp

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Process is simple take another working sandy bridge cpu run up your system after that get latest BIOS then FLASH/UPGRADE it now Put you ivy bridge inside and enjoy
Make sure power is off when playing with CPU

monsta

Splendid

Wake up. Ivy Bridge needs a bios update on the Z68 boards for it to work.

Dont argue with people that are right about something you have no clue about .

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

It do support Just needed upgrading bios for Z68

oatgirl66

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Lol. So the general consensus is that I should be able to use the Z68 and Ivy Bridge together even if I maybe don't get full capacity out of it (since the BIOS update is specifically for Ivy)...

With that in mind, is the reason that I get no video output because of the current BIOS incompatibility, or is there something wrong with the mobo? I'm trying to find someone with a SandyBridge, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. If I can't find a SandyBridge, is there anything I can do besides getting the BIOS chip update or RMA?

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
IMO There's nothing wrong with MOBO just find LGA1155 SANDY BRIDGE by friend or someone who you know put it in your Z68 MOBO FLASH/UPGRADE your BIOS after that put your new IVY BRIDGE and enjoy... :)
But if you couldn't find it i dont think there might be another way.
Make sure power is off when playing with components. :)

Solution

mubin

Distinguished

I am not arguing, just telling about intel's compatible list. And asking robertris2 if he personally experience it. Cause i dont know about bios update for newer IB processor yet.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Its happened bro:) We're living beings uploading knowledge with new technologies.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Yeah you're right, those features are the only difference between the chipsets in question. With that in mind, the native usb 3 had been tested and proven to have no benefit over third party controllers what so ever. Fact is, I don't want an argument, just want to help the op.

Op, if you can't find a friend with sb, then rma it or you can opt for a z77 board. The z77 board will be slightly more expensive (as all latest tech is over last gen). Unless you plan on utilizing virtu, irst, or on board hd4000 graphics, you won't notice any real world difference in performance.

Those seem to be the only logical solutions at this point. Just make sure if you rma, that the new board you get comes with the latest bios.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Perfect! Good to see you don't have to waste any money on shipping.