Asrock Z77 Extreme4 & G.skill Ripjaws X lock ups/hangs

ominousbeing

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

Just put together a new build and am having some problems with the system locking up. Occasionally artifacts appear on-screen when this occurs. The artifacts appear with both onboard and discrete gpu.

While I would usually automatically suspect the ram, what's throwing me off is that the system will even lock up in bios. I do not mean during POST, but actually inside the bios. Additionally, from what I can gather, any single stick from this 4 x 4gb kit will work just fine. Adding any additional sticks appears to increase the chances of the system locking up. Two sticks, even in single-channel configuration, has caused a lock up inside bios.

Windows memory diagnostic showed no errors with 1, 2 or 3 dimms installed. But with 4, I witnessed a sort of type-writer effect, the system did not lock up, but was incredibly slow to update any text. For those familiar with windows memory diagnostic, you know how while testing you can hit F1 for options? When I hit F1, the screen would clear and then slowly, one vertical line at a time, the text would show up. Hitting escape or F10 I believe to confirm options and return to testing page, the same would occur. However, no errors were detected.

Thus far, am I still correct in assuming that this RAM is bad? Or could I have a faulty motherboard?

In the process of setting up memtest86 to see what that has to say, but I also have work here in a little bit. Meanwhile, I wanted to see what ya'll thought. Thanks.

ominousbeing

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
7ish hours with all 16gb installed using memtest86+ 4.20b resulted in 0 errors.

I'm thinking this mobo simply doesn't like this ram, despite this exact model is listed on the boards QVL...

I will BSOD inside windows eventually, just a matter of time. But to even get into windows, it has to 1) not lock up at bios logo. 2) not BSOD followed by instant restart at windows loading screen.

Zero errors AND it's on the QVL...what the hell? And yes, default speeds.

I'll take this over to the gskill forums, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

br030hk

Honorable
May 1, 2012

by any chance you had this figured out? I have the exact same problem except i have the ripjaws non X..

TRENDING THREADS