Asrock z77 extreme4 hangs on shutdown - error code 04 (solved)

MrTx606

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my system for some time now and I can't seem to resolve it without some input. I'll try to be as informative as possible, but if you wish me to try something out, by all means let me know.

The issue:
Whenever I shut my system down, the fans keep spinning and it does not power off. Everything else seems to shut down fine (HDDs power down, etc). There doesn't appear to be any problem with this beyond that I have to manually press the power button until my system. If I power my PC on after that, it boots just normally fine. Rebooting works just fine, system powers down completely and powers up again normally. I've obviously also tried waiting for a long time to see if it wasn't me being impatient or anything.

The following led code appears "04"
I can provide a photo if necessary.

System specs:
- Asrock z77 extreme4
- i7 3770k running on 4.2 GHz
- 16 GB of ddr3 ram
- 2x 1080p displays
- Samsung 850 evo 512 GB (OS)
- Samsung 830 evo 216 GB
- 2x 3TB seagate HDDs

Other things I've tried:
- Temperatures are just fine.
- Tried the things suggested in this post in my BIOS.
- Tried a different graphcs card (GTX 770).
- Unplugging both my harddrives.
- Disabling quick startup in windows power options.

So yeah, if anyone has any idea or a suggestion on where I should look, I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT #1:
I ran memtest86 for and it didn't find any issues with my RAM. Not surprising as I don't have any other issues related to it and all other applications/games run just fine.

EDIT #2:
Solved after clearing cmos!

MrTx606

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I resolved this after clearing CMOS, for some reason this now resolved the issue even though I've done this in the past already.
Even after setting all the settings (including my CPU overclock, boot order, etc) to the previous settings, it all appears to be running fine.
Consider this solved!

zimmbran

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

Fixed my asrock x299 Tai Chi also!