ASRock Z87 Extreme6 vs ASUS Maximus VI Hero

Magic815

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm planning to do a Haswell build sometime in early to mid September, and was looking to get some help on choosing a motherboard.

For my budget, I'm looking in the $160-$220 range. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I don't mind pushing that range if it's worth it. In my research so far, the two motherboards that stuck out most to me were the:

ASRock Z87 Extreme6 and ASUS Maximus VI Hero

Here is newegg's comparison of their stats: Link

As for information on the rest of my computer, this will be used solely as a video editing workstation. It's main uses being Adobe CC (After Effects and Premiere Pro) along with Cinema4D and 3DSMax. It'll have a 4770k CPU, a GTX 760 video card, and 32GB of RAM. It will have a total of 6 hard drives. One SSD for OS/Programs, 2 HDD's in RAID 0, and then another 3 HDD's. I'd like at least six SATA 6Gb/s. I've never done overclocking before, but I don't mind trying it for this build. I have my eye on the H100i cooler if I decide to go that route, but I wouldn't be pushing the CPU to anything crazy. I like my computers to last 5+ years, so I'd want something stable. :)

Curious to hear your thoughts on which motherboard I should go with out of those two (or feel free to suggest a new one within that price range).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
Seems to OC better, run cooler and feel Asus has a better handle on the chipset than others do, was feeling much the same way with the Z77 chipset and the Rock, their mobos with that chipset seemed to go better....As far as the MSI, I myself won't touch their mobos for builds, their QC and support just seem to get worse and worse, dropped them from builds close to 3 years ago
Best $200-ish MoBo is the MSI Z87-GD65

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_z87_gd65_gaming/12.htm

MSI has been using components that meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G for some time as part of its Military Class build philosophy. Parts such as Super Ferrite Chokes that run at up to 35 degree Celsius lower temperatures, have a 30% higher current handling capacity, and a 20% improvement in power efficiency; Tantalum filled Hi-C Caps that are are up to 93% efficient; and "Dark Capacitors" that feature Lower ESR and a ten-year lifespan all tied into a PCB with improved temperature and humidity protections as part of the "Military Essentials" package......In the end MSI's Z87-GD65 is a board that comes with an expansive feature set that includes all your basics and the extras that set them apart such as the V-Check points, upper end audio, Dual BIOS ROMs, KIller Network package, Military Class IV package, and a three-year warranty. Couple that with good looks that carry the dragon theme through the board, and you have a winning combination at $189.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z87_gd65_gaming_review/15

Now and again a motherboard appears that is so obviously brilliant, and so affordable, that we wonder if anything will be able to top it. For a while that crown was held by the ASUS Sabertooth, both in X58 and then P67 variants. Then MSI stole the crown with the Z77 MPower. Looking at the Z87 GD65 Gaming we think it's going to take something extraordinary to top it, such is the perfect storm of price, performance, features and looks.

The switch to Military Class 4 has given us an extremely ready overclocker too. You're always thermally limited when overclocking and the i7-4770K is one of the most demanding around. Considering the amount of cooling we're using we think that although the GD65 is capable of bringing 5GHz from our i7-4770K you'd need a proper water loop to make the most of it.

Performance is outstanding. The stock results were a particular highlight. We know a lot of people still just like to put their CPU in and go, without overclocking it first. Despite how easy it is these days we know that the fear factor still exists. So you'll be glad to know that the MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming really rocks hard even at stock settings. Naturally the overclocking is blistering too, with some OC3D records broken.

MSI have laid the gauntlet down to all the other manufacturers. Gorgeous to look at, blistering performance and all at a very affordable price, the MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming is not only the new benchmark for Z87 motherboards, but probably for all motherboards.

I love the Hero ..... but the Maximus VI Formula is the board I think is best gamer's board of the Haswell generation...If ya can push $300, that's where I'd go

M6F_BG10.jpg

CrossChill Cooling
SupremeFX Formula audio
ROG Armor
Sonic Radar
mPCIe Combo II With Wi-Fi
Extreme Engine Digi+ III
GameFirst II + Intel LAN
RAMDisk
SSD Secure Erase
Up to 3100 RAm support
8+2 phase power design
BlackWing Chokes" (60A per phase)
10K Black Metallic Capacitors (average life expectancy of 10'000 hours)

will make ya wife / GF jealous :)

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I can only comment on the hero because that is what I have and I am 100% happy with it. Asus includes a plethora of software tailored specifically to their ROG mobos and all of it is really well optimized for what it is intended for. If you plan to overclock at all I can't see how it gets any better than Asus and everything they include to help you out with overclocking. One thing I really liked was the onboard audio which is pretty darn good and fits my needs so I wouldn't have to buy any extra audio components. From the comparison chart it looks like the major differences are the audio, eSata, and minidisplayport if you need that. Also something to note the hero doesn't include onboard wifi so if you need that you will have to purchase it separately.

Magic815

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Tradesman1 -- Was there anything in particular that made you lean that way after trying both? It sounds like the Hero is a popular board, but just trying to figure out what makes it worth the extra $20-40 over the Extreme6.

JackNaylorPE -- The MSI Z87-GD65 looks like an awesome choice as well. I've added it to my comparison list below:

Newegg Comparison: Link

Does anyone else have any opinions on one of those three boards? At this point, just looking to see which one most people would lean towards.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Seems to OC better, run cooler and feel Asus has a better handle on the chipset than others do, was feeling much the same way with the Z77 chipset and the Rock, their mobos with that chipset seemed to go better....As far as the MSI, I myself won't touch their mobos for builds, their QC and support just seem to get worse and worse, dropped them from builds close to 3 years ago

Solution

vegas311

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I just hope you didn't get asrock.. I just bought asrock and I having the worst days of my life.. Freezing BIOS, at times undetected rom and HDD, link width 4 which is supposed to be 16x as manual and specification with a single card installed. Really fustrated to death.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Look at the Asus mobos - the Rock did great with the Z77 mobos, but seem to be a bit slower on the upswing to the Z87 chipset

camjac251

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

Try sending it back for a replacement, if you are having trouble with components you just bought, get an RMA for them.