ASRock Z87M OC Formula vs. ASUS Maximus VI Gene

Orionator

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
its your choice. choose the oc formula if u are gonna overclock like hell and the gene for just gaming and working.
asrock and asus are both great brands and asus rog is just super. but personally i would go with an atx mobo but if that doesnt fit in your case go with the maximus vi gene.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

So far, I've had 1 Maximus VI Gene and have had nothing but problems with it, namely bluescreening on me, and then rebooting. I've tried different memory and other settings in BIOS, and it still is running very poorly, which is odd, as all the other builds, I've used ASUS and have not had issues. More recently, I did the 4-way optimize, and this was an incredible mistake, as it will no longer boot. The Q-Control number reads 55 every-time, which is "no memory installed" well there is memory installed and I know the memory is good as I tried it on another computer. I've recently just ordered the ASRock Z87M OC Formula and will try that board out, and see if it works better for me. After doing some research, the ASRock board does have more "stuff" on it, and if you are into on-board WiFi modules, then both have half mini hooks up, and both have mSATA mini express slots for SSD. One thing really nice about the OC Formula,is it has 3 holes drilled for 3 antennas for the better WiFi cards, where the Maximus only has 2, so if you want to run a Kiiler-N 1202 or Intel Ultimate-N 6300 card, the ASRock is a better choice in that regards due to 3 holes already drilled in the back I/O plate.
I think both boards are very good, it's just the Maximus board has been an extremely poor choice for me, and I am very disappointed with it...I will be returning it to ASUS for a check up as I have pretty much given up on it. However, please don't let my bad luck with the Maximus decide for you. Hope it helps.
Regards