ASRock z97 Drivers

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the bet place to post this, so forgive me if this belongs elsewhere.

Anyway, I recently built a rig using a ASRock z97 board. I've updated all drivers but have found that the Intel Management Engine device is not functioning (listed with a big yellow exclamation mark in my device manager). I've downloaded the drivers from ASRock's own site. In this case, the driver was version 10.0.0.1204. I also searched for a compatible driver on Intel's own site and came up empty handed. All the drivers for this device that I could find were for older motherboards.

I was speaking with a more tech savvy friend who suggested this might also be related to a problem I am having with Sleep Mode. My PC seems to crash anytime it enters into Sleep Mode (or fail to wake up). There has been no blue screen of death though.

A short list of my system's specifications are below, but if any further information is needed, please let me know.

GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Gaming OC 4GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ
SSD (for boot): Kingston 120gb
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
ODD: Asus CD/DVD RW
PSU: Seasonic 520W
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB
And of course
Motherboard: ASRock z79 Extreme4

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wildfire707

Distinguished
You can get the INF driver direct from Intel (version 10.0.13) at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

This should be installed in addition to the Intel Management Engine driver. If it doesn't work, then you should try to reinstall the Intel Management Engine driver.

Also note that ASRock includes a link to a Windows Update that should be installed so that the Management Engine can work. The update is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38423

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

I've tried both of these ideas to no avail unfortunately. Intel Management Engine is still showing up as non functional. Initially, when I updated the INF, it almost seemed to work. There was no longer any yellow exclaimation marks in the Device Manager. But then I noticed that was because Intel Management Engine was not there at all anymore. I reinstalled that driver, rebooted, and am now back where I started.

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Okay, quick update. After doing more research I have noticed a number of others have had issue with the Intel Management Engine. Some seem able to fix it by simply updating their driver, others, like myself, not so much. There must be some inconstancy between systems. I encountered one person who claimed that Intel management Engine simply will not work on z97 motherboards when running Windows 7 as opposed to 8. This doesn't make sense to me though since there are clearly drivers for Windows 7. Anyone else heard of this?

wildfire707

Distinguished

I haven't heard of that. My only thoughts now are to try uninstalling the Intel Management Engine, reboot, install it again, and reboot once more. If that doesn't work, I am out ways to try and fix it other than doing a clean OS install (and I wouldn't recommend that with all the time and hassle).

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

Unfortunately reinstalling did not work. It is looking more and more like I will need to do a clean nstall of the OS or flash my BIOS.

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

I have the latest version of the bios, though I suppose I could try rolling it back or reinstalling. The manufacturer has now suggested I start a RMA process for a replacement. I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble of all that. From what I understand, beyond being unable to sleep properly or use remote access features (which I didn't ever plan to use anyway), the device is not needed. Anyone know any reason I would have to keep the device other than this?

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Update: I have done more digging and found that, according to my PC, the error comes from the fact that the driver fails the handshake with the firmware. This makes it sound more like a compatibility issue than anything else. I am now wondering if downgrading my bios to an earlier version could help--is that even possible if my motherboard came with the latest version already installed?

Don Meehan

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

I am having the same problem but the KMDF is for a windows 7 im running 8.1 KMDF say that it is searching for updates on the computer but this does not seem to finish, this is becoming a real problem as i am unable to use any new usb devive on the computer.

TonyMFuss

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

Hi Don,

Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution. I have now tried downgrading my bios to the earliest possible version, and while that process went off smoothly (which I had heard some people say it wouldn't with the Intel Management Engine not working), it did not fix anything. I suppose it is possible that I would need to reinstall Windows AGAIN after this Bios downgrade, but that seems like too much work at this point. I can say though that I am not having any USB driver device issues. Aside from running a different Windows, what is your PC specs?

TRENDING THREADS