Question ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 appears to be dead after CPU upgrade?

Apr 3, 2023
Hello, I recently upgraded my two computers in a couple ways, the first went fine adding an Intel i7 4790k to a ASRock 97 fatal1ty without incident. I just finished doing the same for the "blue" PC, adding the same processor to the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 but the computer will not POST from what I can tell, nor does it beep or display codes. Fans are on, Keyboard is powered but nothing else. I've cleared the CMOS with the battery, I've reduced it back to the old processor running with a single RAM, fan and onboard video and still get blank screens. I came across this thread on Reddit ( View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2jrt1b/psarequest_possible_reoccurring_problem_with_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
) and I'm suspicious if I'm having the same issue here but I've yet to get the "1 in 10 that did work“ as they've described. At this point I'm just considering picking up an old board for 70 bucks and assuming this one is dead but if you guys can think of anything else I should try I'd appreciate it. I have no idea what would have killed it and the CPU slot seems pretty dang clean and unbent

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
^ we'll be seeing two sets for both platforms mentioned above. Include the age of the PSU's as well.

As for your platforms, did you make sure that they both bad the latest BIOS version on them prior to the CPU upgrades?

Apr 3, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
^ we'll be seeing two sets for both platforms mentioned above. Include the age of the PSU's as well.

As for your platforms, did you make sure that they both bad the latest BIOS version on them prior to the CPU upgrades?
Here's the blue PC specs that is currently having the issues from a PC parts picker list.

CPU | Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory| Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
Memory| [Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
Storage | Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card | 2x EVGA Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Cards
Case| NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan Corsair AF120 Quiet 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack

As I recall, the coolers for both are a stock Intel cooler and it's running windows 10. I've recently added a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive to both PCs but neither are using it to boot, This first blue PC has got two monitors an old Samsung 24" using DVI and a nice new ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q1A 28” Monitor, 4K. The system, including PSU is 7 years old.

The twin Red model has the following specs.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: 2x MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair AF120 Quiet 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fan

It's also running windows 10, has the new M2 drive and Asus gaming monitor. It's been running well since the upgrade. It's also seven years old.

I had not updated BIOS for either at installation. I attempted to update the working one (red fatal1ty) after as windows initially registered it as the same CPU but it was up to date and apparently just needed to reboot. The blue (extreme4) I haven't been able to get to a BIOS screen to attempt an update since exchanging the CPU and reverting back to the original has not worked as of yet

Lutfij

Titan
The board that's causing issue for you,
Z97%20Extreme4(L2).png

had a BIOS selector switch at the bottom left hand corner(with regards to the image posted above), see if that brings life back into your platform with. Out of curiosity, where did you source the i7 processors for your build upgrades?

DaveLTX

Prominent
Aug 14, 2022
I actually have the same experience with a few B85/H87/Z87 boards years back,
It would boot fine but months later in storage they completely stop working. All of them.
Doesn't matter what I did with them but one of them I swapped a CPU to a 4790
But I noticed that odd behavior as if they have a "timebomb"

Apr 3, 2023
The board that's causing issue for you,
Z97%20Extreme4(L2).png

had a BIOS selector switch at the bottom left hand corner(with regards to the image posted above), see if that brings life back into your platform with. Out of curiosity, where did you source the i7 processors for your build upgrades?
I did try the BIOS switch and didn't get any response yesterday I might fiddle around with it more today but I'm not feeling optimistic. As for the processors I got them off eBay "refurbished" or some other word for lightly used. They have a return policy through the seller so I can always return it if it turns out it's the processor but the first one worked absolutely fine and the seller has good rep selling hundreds of these so I don't think it's a dead processor, especially considering the original processor is now ignoring me, but you never know