Asrock Z97 OC Formula - BIOS Problem

WilliamTell13

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
So, I have an ASRock Z97 OC Formula motherboard. I tried updating the BIOS through the Windows method about three months ago with no luck. The computer would go into an endless start and restart cycle. It would turn on for less than a second, fans would start spinning, then it would turn back on after a second or two and do the same thing. I fixed it (to be able to get the computer to actually turn on) by using the CMOS reset switch on the back of the motherboard. I then tried updating the BIOS with a USB stick, and it worked this time. Fast forward to now, I try updating the BIOS to the newest version via a USB stick (yes, I learned my lesson, never updating the BIOS again ever unless absolutely necessary) and it is now doing the same thing (turning on for a second, turning off, turning back on infinitely). Again, I fixed this by using the CMOS reset switch, but no matter how many times I try to update, it keeps doing the same thing. I have no idea how I got it to update successfully the last time.

The computer is fine as long as I don't cut the power from it. As soon as I do that, when I try to turn it back on, it's in the infinite restart cycle. Just shutting down the computer does not cause this to happen. It seems like a very odd problem and I would like to get it fixed because it's annoying to have to pull the computer out from my desk to access the CMOS reset switch every time I unplug my surge protector (UPS). Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

try to flash to a older working bios ?? just because its the latest don't mean its the best ..

this is why at the top of the bios page its tells you its all at your own risk ...

also after you flash you got to go back in the bios and set everything back up cause it resets everything back to default -- so if windows was loaded on a drive that was set to achi and now the bios is set to default ide it will not boot -- little things like that should be checked

WilliamTell13

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I'll give it a shot with flashing the original BIOS. But it doesn't even successfully flash the BIOS. When I select the BIOS to flash from the USB drive, it restarts the computer and that's when it goes into the infinite restating loop.

WilliamTell13

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Instead of just using the CMOS reset switch, I'm going to remove the CMOS battery and try that method to reset the BIOS and then try updating. I'll let everyone know what happens.

WilliamTell13

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Update guys: Got it to successfully flash! I removed the CMOS battery for like 15 minutes and put it back in. Then I restored the default settings, restarted, selected the option to flash the new BIOS, and it successfully turned off and back on the computer and flashed the BIOS successfully. I think removing the battery must have been what finally reset whatever was causing the computer to infinitely turn on and off if the power was removed from it. Thanks for all the help guys!

well I guess I should of used the /office use or granny web shopping on her old monitor .. why do something that may limit end users use ?? it not like your forced to hook up, to it but somebody may need to ...

it just adds to the boards overall hardware compatibility