News ASRock's AMD EPYC Motherboard Flaunts Seven PCIe 4.0 x16 Expansion Slots

Mar 24, 2020
Any idea if a dual proc is coming? Been laboring over EPYC or Threadripper here lately but with PCIe 4 on the table and M.2, leaning back towards EPYC. would love a dual proc option! (I just like overspending, LOL)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any idea if a dual proc is coming?
Why do you need > 64 cores? Just curious.

Supermicro makes a dual-EPYC EATX board:

There's also a variant with dual-10 Gigabit Ethernet and dual-NVMe:

In a desktop enclosure, I think you'll need a custom-loop water-cooling setup for it.

If you're actually serious about this, please let us know how it goes.

Mar 24, 2020
Any idea if a dual proc is coming? Been laboring over EPYC or Threadripper here lately but with PCIe 4 on the table and M.2, leaning back towards EPYC. would love a dual proc option! (I just like overspending, LOL)
Why do you need > 64 cores? Just curious.

Supermicro makes a dual-EPYC EATX board:

There's also a variant with dual-10 Gigabit Ethernet and dual-NVMe:

In a desktop enclosure, I think you'll need a custom-loop water-cooling setup for it.

If you're actually serious about this, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply!
It's actually more about the PCIe 4, the number of lanes that EPYC offers is great, also the memory bandwidth and the M.2 slots like on some of the Creator MB's. As far as Threadripper goes, I was looking at the faster 3970 (32 cores). 64 is a bit over the top but I do a ton of Encoding, Transcoding, Editing, Color Correction and Rendering. 4k projects for sure and now requests for 8k. A good balance of clock speed and cores is what I'm really looking for. Thunderbolt is a big plus too. Wish EPYC had a bit faster clock speed... Sure it will soon the way AMD is pushing development.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's actually more about the PCIe 4, the number of lanes that EPYC offers is great, also the memory bandwidth and the M.2 slots like on some of the Creator MB's. As far as Threadripper goes, I was looking at the faster 3970 (32 cores).
I'd probably stick with ThreadRipper, either 32 or 64 cores.

There are PCIe cards that can give you Thunderbolt ports, as you probably know.

Wish EPYC had a bit faster clock speed... Sure it will soon the way AMD is pushing development.
AMD released a higher-clocked EPYC model, intended for water-cooled chassis, which seemed aimed at supercomputers. I don't know how accessible it is, but maybe you can get one through a custom workstation vendor.

Anyway, here are two I found:

(single- & dual- CPU)​