ASRock's Combo Motherboards Support DDR4 And DDR3, Making Skylake Upgrade Easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJ, are you sure these boards support standard DDR3? My understanding was that the only combo boards that were going to be released would support only DDR3L, the low powered modules, on Skylake platforms that supported it at all. Because if that's the case, most current DDR3 users won't be able to use their RAM on these boards.

MJ, are you sure these boards support standard DDR3? My understanding was that the only combo boards that were going to be released would support only DDR3L, the low powered modules, on Skylake platforms that supported it at all. Because if that's the case, most current DDR3 users won't be able to use their RAM on these boards.

Hey Breezey. The news team actually had a bit of a discussion about this yesterday. ASRock simply states DDR3, and doesn't specify low-power DDR3. Intel probably specifies DDR3L, but like with previous memory controllers, it will likely work with higher power RAM. For example, Sandy Bridge - Broadwell specifies DDR3 1.5v, yet DDR3 running at 1.65v is commonly used on these systems.

So, 1.35v is likely the standard Intel sets for Skylake, but 1.5v RAM will probably work fine too. I wouldn't want to risk 1.65v RAM in it, however. It is still a little unclear at the moment.

I'd like to get Tradesman to weigh in on this before I make any recommendations to members that regular DDR3 will work in one of those boards, or see it used in a review. Might look kind of bad to start telling people it will work and then find out it doesn't. Not that I don't believe you, but we've seen these kinds of issues before. Like dual graphics that works, but doesn't.

seems like if I were investing in skylake I would not look at ddr3 anyway better off stivcking with hasewll skylake supports native 1866/2133 ddr4 and just 1333/1600 ddr3 then it seems haswell does better then skylake on gaming ???

''In our discrete gaming benchmarks, at 3GHz Skylake actually performs worse than Haswell at an equivalent clockspeed, giving up an average of 1.3% performance. We don’t have much from Intel as to analyze the architecture to see why this happens, and it is pretty arguable that it is noticeable, but it is there''

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

so why ??

On word, latency. Much lower latency on DDR3 units. DDR4 and DDR3L use less power, but DDR4 has a much higher latency than DDR3. And for now at least it's a lot cheaper and a lot of people already have DDR3 so it's one less thing to have to buy.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
From what I've seen, while the 'Standard' per in Intel is the 1.35, 1.5 and even 1.65 seem to be fine, Asus has a number of 1.65 sets on the QVL for their DDR3 based Z170-P D3 and the Rock has them listed (at least for the K4/D3 model. Saw something on an MSI mobo listeing 1.65 sticks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.