News ASRock's Side Panel Turns Your Case Into a Secondary Display

Apr 1, 2020
It's a shame this accessory won't get mainstream popularity due to these compatibility issues. But for the few users with the correct motherboard, this side panel kit can provide a full secondary monitor that takes up no additional space on your desk. The only sacrifice you'll make is blocking all the shiny RGB lighting inside your chassis.

Know what else can do that? A portable monitor affixed, or propped, against your case, and doesn't require buying an ASRock product.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
Know what else can do that? A portable monitor affixed, or propped, against your case, and doesn't require buying an ASRock product.
Yeah, but would that really be as cool as 13.3" 1080P 60Hz display cramped inside your computer? Imagine, a whole 13.3-inch secondary monitor that has the depth of 12 inches, weights 20-35 pounds (10-15kg), and is hidden behind a dusty plastic panel. Who on earth would not want to get one of these?

Admin said:
Unfortunately, this represents a problem for most PC users.
Yes, it does, because a hell of a lot of people will want to punch them for buying this crap.

Apr 1, 2020
Yeah, but would that really be as cool as 13.3" 1080P 60Hz display cramped inside your computer? Imagine, a whole 13.3-inch secondary monitor that has the depth of 12 inches, weights 20-35 pounds (10-15kg), and is hidden behind a dusty plastic panel. Who on earth would not want to get one of these?

Could be worse, could be glass and plastic...

$_86.JPG

Reactions: artk2219

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Given that both AMD & Intel have iGPU's now, MoBo makers can probably route one of the iGPU's HDMI/DisplayPort signals to have a internal MoBo header.

This could create a entirely new Case Trend where the Side-Panel display is powered by the on-board iGPU.

Reactions: artk2219

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Sadly adapters aren't a solution either since eDP to DP (or any other display output) adapters don't exist today. Furthermore, creating an adapter is problematic because eDP runs both power and video signals through a single cable.
Maybe not an "adapter" but there are plenty of options for buying a controller to run an eDP laptop display from a DP, HDMI or VGA connection. It's just not universal as the controller has to be programmed for the specific display it needs to drive. But in most cases when I come across a laptop that has issues that make it unusable as a laptop, I look up the display model number and can compatible controllers that will let me use it as a standard monitor. Makes for some fun projects to work them into things. Such as into the side panel of a case like their doing here. I have a 15.6" one running in protrait mode for my second monitor. Also made a rack mount monitor with built in KVM with a 17" one.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On the plus side, the RGB and "pretty case" trend has gone so far its beginning to block out its own RGB lighting.
i was about to say, what am I supposed to watch now? My rgb light show or the other display? Hmm, I could have this running on loop on that display
and have both.

waiting for Inwin case with that light show with lasers inside the case.