Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag very laggy!

mojtaba74a

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hi, I installed the Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag on my labtop and faced a lot lag!
My system specs are:
Win 7 64bit
Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz with turbo boost up to 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6470M with shader 5.0
DirectX 11

I'm now runnig it on lowest graphic options with 800x600 resolution! Even I when I applied 1280x768 it started lagging!

Is it normal that I face this much lag?

Solution
It is quite a demanding game and that GPU isn't very good. Unfortunately, that's normal and there's nothing you can do about it.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Yes, it's extremely normal because unfortunately your laptop is extremely weak. This is quite expected, and unfortunately there's not much you could do about it. Try googling for optimization mods, though it's very unlikely that those exist for ACIV yet, nor is it likely that they'd even provide a big boost. Really, your only option is to buy a new laptop or build a desktop. Sorry.

Yeah that's true, even on the lowest settings at 800x600, my laptop (with an i5 3210m and a GT 635m) still hovers between 17-25 FPS so it's kinda expected that your laptop with a lower end 6470m would experience more lag

It's not really your laptop's fault for not being able to run it on at least the lowest settings, it's the optimization of the game, the developer doesn't really give a toss about PC gamers as long as they're making a steady profit

mojtaba74a

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Building a powerful desktop that can support you for more than 8 years cost A LOT more than a XBOX One or PS4!

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

Not really. No one said anything about 8 years in the first place, but if you build a desktop more powerful than a PS4 you could do so for about $750. From there, it can last just as long as this console generation does. Over time as games advance it'll start to show its age and 60 fps will no longer be a viable option, but that doesn't mean it won't last. 8 years from now that same computer will still perform better than a PS4.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

For $800 you can build a desktop more powerful than a PS4:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($123.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $802.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 02:59 EST-0500)

This will put down a PS4 pretty easily, though not as much as you may like. Still, it's notably more powerful than a PS4 and you get all the benefits of having a PC which can do a lot more than a PS4 in the first place, both in terms of the games you have access to and the general applications available to a PC. Also, if you have a copy of Windows on you already, for example if you have the product key from your laptop, or perhaps if you're considering Linux or some other alternative, you can take out the $100 OS listed here and instead you can upgrade the GPU to put down the PS4 really hard.