Assassin's Creed Rogue PC Supports Tobii Eye Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Hxs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Do these guys have a special copy n paste system releasing a new assasins creed every quarter. I'm still waiting on half life 3.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
"Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported,"

Crazy requirements for a bad PS3/XB360 port, too.
^
[language edited by Moderator] watch what you say there - Lutfij

Whether or not it's a crappy port it actually sounds like it will be fairly optimized to me. If you look at the hardware requirements those are like 1/3 of what Unity's were. If these requirements are true, I am impressed.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Not only you are paying to beta test the new AC, now you will also beta test the new eye tracking hardware

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Well... those required specs sure, uh.... well, frankly, plummeted. Let's hope it's due to better optimization rather than a lighter load.

"Whether or not it's a crappy port it actually sounds like it will be fairly optimized to me. If you look at the hardware requirements those are like 1/3 of what Unity's were. If these requirements are true, I am impressed."

Here's the problem though:
You simply can't compare the game engines. Sure there where issues with Unity, but the intent was to push high-end PC's to create something visually better (with better AI as well).

Unfortunately the game ended up too demanding and the company just couldn't fix the issues in time for PC or next-gen consoles.

On one hand we get people whining about games not taking advantage of our gaming PC's, then when someone makes the attempt people complain it's only running on a small number of computers.

This doesn't excuse what happened completely but it is understandable. I for one will probably play Unity on my GTX980Ti.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
First they need to fix everything that was broken with Unity. That game still runs like crap in my PC even after the updates. Thanks Ubisoft for another sub-standard game

"Today, with our Sentry Eye Tracker, we are announcing an entirely new way for streamers and viewers to see the game," said Ehtisham Rabbani, SteelSeries CEO, during CES 2015.

Catering to streamers? They realize that twitch cannibalizes sales from story-driven games. That's retarded marketing right there.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
A lot of Ubi's "PC" games don't even support SSE instructions let alone the newer instructions, it almost seems like they care so little about the platform that they don't even make the effort to pretend to care.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Guys AC Rogue was made for X360 and PS3. That's why it's not demanding compared to Unity, which was made with X1 and PS4 in mind. It will probably run and look similar to Black Flag. Hopefully it will run even better actually since AC3/BF version of the Anvil Engine must be very mature and optimized at this point compared to Unity's version of the engine which was... not ready.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
While I don't care for yet another Assassin's Creed game, I love this use of the Eye Tracking technology. If it truly tracks your eye's focus point in-game as accurately as they say, they could do some other neat tricks with it too, such as real-time dynamic DoF focus utilizing your actual eye's focus point on screen as the focus depth plane. No more arbitrary "DoF" effect where they just blindly blur the background...that's not how our eyes work. When I look in the distance I want to be crystal clear, but the foreground blur like it does in reality. When I look at my hand or at a very close object, the focus range should shallow-up and have more of the background (and extreme foreground) become more blurry. The math to mimic the eye's focus limitations is already calculated, but other than a few FPS games it didn't really make sense to implement without direct input from the user's own eyes. That way whatever you're staring at on the screen is always in focus for you, but things on-screen in your natural peripheral vision is correctly blurred if it's far behind or in front of the focus point in-game.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

That's true! This is a very interesting technology! It could also be used for good 3D like the New 3DS that tracks your eyes and head to realign the angle of the 3D effects. It could also be used to do that incredible 3D illusion demoed by that asian guy on Youtube YEARS ago that used a Wiimote to make 3D out of a non-3D TV, though it was much more impressive than the 3D effects we have today.

Don't know if you know what I'm talking about...

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006

I haven't seen that but it definitely sounds promising none-the-less. So many great things you can do with this tech. It also makes it easier to implement VR effects for racing games and space sims that previously needed the Oculus Rift to simulate looking around in a 1st person cockpit environment for those who just want that control on their screen.

I think if Ubisoft really wants to come back they should do it with this game on PC. Even though they have a bad reputation we cannot just say "Oh, these hardware requirements are low so therefore the game will have bad graphics and dumb AI", and we cannot deduce, "These system requirements are high so the game is unoptimized" (though Unity was). I plan on getting this game for PC, the requirements are promising and I hear it's actually a lot more fun than Unity.

Djibrille

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
"The Sentry bar resides at the bottom of the gamer's screen and consists of three infrared "microprojectors" that scan the player's eyes 50 times per second."

Am I the only one who believes 50 Hz refresh time on the sensors(or trackers or whatever they are) is too slow. When gaming mice have 2000 hz or even more polling rates 50 seems way too low. But maybe I don't quite understand the technology...
It seems interesting but if the image moves with a perceivable delay, I can see that as being more annoying than usefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.