Question Assembled new pc. Freezes on windows 10 install.

Aug 17, 2019
So I recently assembled a new pc. I followed the motherboard instructions, got everything plugged in correctly (to my knowledge).

I can be in bios for ages, no freeze. I can start windows setup in safe mode, no freezes. Anytime I try to setup windows 10 without safe mode (which I have to do because when the install gets to the point of me selecting my country, language, pc/user name, itll show an error on safemode, and not save or let me pass the screen after putting my username).

So I've tried taking out my gpu, and using my motherboard for visual. Ive tried taking out and only having one stick of ram. Ive tried having only one ssd hooked up (completely erased, no info on ssd), Ive tried unplugging the ssd and using the m2 drive. Ive tried installing with a USB, and with a DVD. Alas, windows freezes. I can get past putting in my serial, having the install 'finalize', and when it says it needs to reboot and has a 10 second timer, the install always freezes after that. Now I can power on, reset a few times , boot off the drive windows tried to install, get to the point where Im supppsed to select location and username, and it freezes. Like I said though, if I boot to that in safemode, I can put the information in, it just doesnt seem to save since its safe mode. It just comes up with an error.

Originally I kept getting the DPC watchdog violation. I had someone walk me through command prompt to clean the drive and convert to GPT so I could even attempt windows install. But now thats Ive done that, it just freezes.

My specs are

MSI z390 gaming pro carbon ac lga1151 (300series)

i9 9900k coffee lake lga 1151 (300 series)

G.skill trident z rgb (16x2) ddr4 3200 (pc4 25600)

EVGA 1080 ftw2 icx

EVGA p2 1000 watt psu

Corsair force mp600 m2 2280 1tb pci-e 4x nvme 3d

Corsair hydro series h100i platinum se (cooler for cpu) it came pre applied with thermal compound but I bought an extra tube incase I need to take it apart or to apply when I clean it in a year or two and reapply the thermal paste.

So, a few things came from my last pc build that were newer. The evga 1080 ftw2 I got last year or the year during black Friday.
The EVGA p2 1000 watt processor was from my last build.
I do have 3 SSDs from my last pc but have tried each of them with the windows , but same problem, so unplugged and just been trying with the m2.

It shouldnt be an issue that my psu for the cpu connector uses two 4pin connections to make the 8 pin power connector right? I pushed them both together and they both clipped to the 8pin cpu power. Or that the vga have 6pin connectors with 2pin right next to the 6 to make it an 8. Im just going crazy trying to get this running.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Skip the serial number part, it will work fine without it you can add that later.

CPU- Yes that has two separate 4+4 connectors, older boards only needed a single 4 pin so this way they don't have to supply an additional cable.

VGA- Those vary too, 6+2 connectors are normal.

Aug 17, 2019
Skip the serial number part, it will work fine without it you can add that later.

So just click I dont have serial or?

Alright, I'll start it up, give it a shot. Its never frozen on that part, just after when I click next, accept terms, it installs, and on finalizing when it restarts itll restart and never load. If I keep powering down and powering up to reset from freezes, itll eventually boot from the hard drive, but it just freezes a few moments after Im asked to select my country, keyboard layout, user name, etc. Sometimes I can get past select country, othertimes it just freezes on that screen. Im so confused why it only really freezes after the install. Ive tried leaving it for hours after install to no avail.

Anywho, gonna go wipe hard drive from last failed install, then reinstall without key.

Aug 17, 2019
Currently trying to install windows 10 pro without key. (not sure what the other editions are for, pro n, workstation, etc).

Its finishing up, and restarting now.
Says preparing devices
Getting ready
Screen went black, came back on, showed msi loading screen with spinning dots.
Freeze.

After finishing up the install when it starts 10 sec countdown, I dont need to pull out the usb immediately right? I dont understand what the hell is wrong, Ive been trying this for 5 days.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Sounds like you made it past the Install but have another issue so boot from the USB again.

Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. Select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

After the completion of the commands, shut down and remove the USB device then restart the computer and check the status.

Aug 17, 2019
So I had to restart after install (hold power off cause it froze).

Reboot came up with error, winload.efi, 0xc0000225
Sounds like you made it past the Install but have another issue so boot from the USB again.

Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. Select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

After the completion of the commands, shut down and remove the USB device then restart the
computer and check the status.

Tried to boot safemode with command prompt because the normal page where it should ask to troubleshoot just keeps coming with the error I just stated before this post

I tried your prompts. Access denied on the second. The other two showed 0 windows installed. Went to reinstall, and it prompts me saying the windows I have on the drive will be in windows.old

Aug 17, 2019
Sooo, I reinstalled on a different disk. After install. It said choose an operating system on disk 3 or 7, after restart it said choose between 2 and 6. Are they moving around???

I didnt delete the first install that was messed up on the m2. So installed on an ssd. Just deleted the one on the m2.

With commandprompt, couldn't fixmbr because I/O error.
Access denied on second,

Froze after that

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Will that linux work in my intel, I read it said something about amd, Im on i9 9900k. Ive got one spare 8gig usb drive I can use. If I need a larger one I can go buy it. As of right now, I'll need to find a way to download linux to a usb anyways since I have no PC.

Also, can anyone link me a guide how to setup a normal usb stick to , say, install the latest bios for my motherboard or even linux for that matter. The USB with windows is one I bought, didnt create myself.

I also ran a memory diagnostic on my pc. Did 15 (the max), passed 15 of 15, no problems detected. Took a long ass time, not sure if thats normal, all the same, it passed.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Linux will work but if you plan to game then your going to need patients and expect to do some fiddling to make things work right.

Back to Windows.

You need to kill all those partitions and start from scratch.

https://www.disk-partition.com/articles/how-to-delete-partition-from-bios-0310.html

Unplug your PC from the internet, unplug anything besides the Keyboard and Mouse and do the install again to a fresh disk. Skip the key part " I don't have Key" and just get your desktop up. If everything is kosher then do a backup so you have a save point. From there plug the internet in and update and see what happens, after the updates then worry about activating with your key provided you even need to since you probably have the key assigned to your Windows account by now.

Aug 17, 2019
I havent been able to get to my desktop a single time. Ive partitioned my hard drives both about 20 times each now (which I hate doing, feel like it cant be good for the hard drives).

Most of the time, I get to the part where Im supposed to put in my serial (which Ive skipped putting in the last few times), it will normally finish the install, (though it can occasionally freeze during the install). And when it is finished and says it needs to reboot my pc, thats when everything goes haywire. I dont think it allows me to use the command prompt commands that someone suggested earlier because I can't get to the part where I create my account and add myself as the "administrator". Most of the time it will just freeze on my motherboard logo after it says preparing setup, and has the spinning loading sign. Occassionally, but rarely, I can make it to where it asks me to give my country, keyboard layout, and have gotten ONCE to the screen where it asks for account name for the user. It froze there, or always freezes before that point. If I enter in safemode, It doesnt freeze, but also doesnt let me enter the information it asks for, just comes up with an error. I can sit there in safemode for hours without a freeze.

Anywho, all I have plugged in is my keyboard, my mouse, and my monitor. And the power to the psu ofcourse. Ive tried the install without my gpu, with one stick of ram, and with only one hard drive hooked up. It all ended up doing the samething.

Is anyone able to tell if this is a software issue? I mean, if I can run a windows memory diagnostic test for 4-8 hours and have it not freeze, but trying installing windows and cant go 6 seconds after the install without a freeze...

Just wish I could figure this out already. Its getting incredibly frustrating. This is the first build Ive ever had issues like this with. I was just stupid and decided ohhh Ill get windows 10 cause they wanna force us to do that by removing win 7 support. I wiped my ssd with win 7 and here I am. Unable to install windows.

Is it possible this freeze is from the dpc watchdog violation b.s. error I got when I first started trying to install windows?
I had to convert my ssd to a GTP or GPT whatever it is to be able to install windows in the first place.

Aug 17, 2019
Reinstalled windows again. It went through. Finalized. Said it needed to reset. Went through reset, said preparing devices. I believe it reset again, and now it freezes, as it continues to do, in the same spot. Regardless of if Im using a dvd or usb to install. What gives.

Aug 17, 2019
Hey delaro. So I finally got where you mentioned. It restarted. Went to advanced, troubleshoot, command prompt, and it says I need to sign in as administrator, but there are no administrators.

Also, this issue isnt from my cpu power cord right? It shouldn't cause this. Just asking because its a cpu power cord that is two four pin that connect together to make an 8pin (they are both on the same cable/cord, just split into 4 and 4 at the very end. Similar to my gpu having 6+2 for power)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Anyways. Gave it to the head of IT at BSU. He said it looks like he has to 'slipstream' some drivers while installing windows. Guy is incredibly talented with computers. Ill let you guys know if and when I get an answer. Though if Im being honest, I feek like it might be a while :(