Question Assembling ethernet connection for PC

Dec 18, 2019
Hi
Long story short I had big ping spikes playing online game and since I invested a lot of money for my PC and wanted to have some fun I decided to buy 17m of utp 5e cable and connect my pc to my router. Since the cable has to go through a hole in the wall that isnt big enough to fit connector rj45 and I dont have crimping tool I bought rj45 connectors that do t require crimping tool ( https://www.google.com/search?q=rj4...oECAwQAQ&biw=360&bih=631#imgrc=d0l_7xs7O00p0M ) . I connected both sides of cable with these connectors using model A of connection and unfortunately pluging in the cable I couldnt connect on internet and I tried putting connector on few times to make sure I didnt misplace wires or smtg. Maybe I still didnt place the wires in correctly or maybe Im missing smtg else? Also could u tell me what is the 9th wire in my cable that isnt insulated? Not sure what that is for. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
What is printed along the length of the 17m cable you purchased?

Appears that there may be a grounding (earthing) wire therein.

Those folding connectors are also suspect - likely difficult to establish and hold a firm connection.

Especially if there is some mismatch in the wiring gauge between cable and connectors.

Or even if identical wire gauge, quality (or lack quality) could be an issue.

Wire, connector, or both.

Dec 18, 2019
On the cable it says emos cat5e ftp pvc shielded installation cable 4pair en50 173 & iso\iec 11801 & tia\eia 568b en50 575 eca 199m.
I have multimeter at work so Ill check if there is connection between each pair of pins on connectors on each end of the cable. There are some weird looking contacts for wires on connectors and they dont look to robust so we Will see. I would try to solder wires to said contacts but thr plastic around is too narrow so ID probably burn it. If the issue are the connectors could I just cut shorter ethernet cable I have in half and connect that to ends of my cable so I Already have finished connectors? Would that work?

P. S. I have no place to connecr earthing wire to right?

Dec 18, 2019
You'd be surprised what these connectors will go through once you tape them tight and gently massage them through the hole. I've pulled multiple cables through spaces where I thought even one couldn't go.
Trust me I tried to get Already made cable through the hole before I bought anything but ko way it goes through with connectors.

Dec 18, 2019
Ok so Ive managed to properly assemble the connectors and now I am connected to network but another problem occurs. For some reason my connection is limited to 10Mbps speed (checked at network status> and my contract with ISP is 70Mbps. My other pc that is connected with ethernet has 70Mbps speed. I presume thst there is a way to remove thst limit or rwther ti also be able to get 70Mbps or? Will changing ports where I pluggef ethernet cable make any difference?

P. S.
Auto negotiation option is Already set on speed and duplex part of my driver so its not that.
P. P. S.
Ive tested cable at work and speed was over 110Mbps so cable should t be the problem. Maybe when I assemble one connector again I didnt do it ok but it is doubtful. Any other reasons speed would be limited to 10Mbps? Ive tried other ports on modem as well same thing.
P. P. P. S.
It was indeed bas connection when I opener connector one wire got loose. Now when everything is ok speed is limited to 100Mbps which is enough since my contracted speed is 70Mbps.

Last edited: