Assembling my own PC for the first time - advice appreciated

desert1701

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Hey guys,

General blabla

I've been thinking about building a new PC since my old GPU broke (loved my HD 5850, after 4 years still playing many AAA titles on High...) and now that I know I'll have a bit of money to throw around in the near future, I went about to look at parts for the PC, which I am going to build on my own - which is going to be my first time, yay \o/ (bit nervous about it^^ - yes, I've looked at the assembling-guides, will also look at many more ;) ) I assembled this on PCPartpicker, but everyone I asked about it said, after their own opinion: go to THForums, they are the best - so I am here.

Approximate Purchase Date

So, I'm planning to build this June/July this year (2015 - just for future reference ;) ), so it is still a bit out, but I wanted to get a general feeling for the parts - I'm also looking for advice if you say I should change my mind about a specific part, because a new series is coming out or whatnot.

Location, Pricerange, Websites

I live in Constance, Germany, the price range is 2000€-2500€ (1850-2300$ - which doesn't say much, because Hardware is sooooo much more expensive here in Germany -.-"), though I'd like to stay at the lower border of that range. Good sites for comparing Hardware prices in Germany are, so I've found:
- Home of Hardware
- Heise or
- Idealo
Prices are accepted before shipping, after Rebates, OS not included in pricerange.

Parts Preference

For the GPU, I'd like a AMD card, just personal preference, I am pretty set on the one I have posted below (XFX R9 295X2).
The CPU and the MoBo don't match, the sockets are wrong - this is probably where I need the most help, which should I change? I want to keep this Build AT LEAST 4 years, maybe 5, so I'm tending to change the MoBo...

Overclocking

Yes, after I read some more about it definitly.

SLI/Crossfire

In a year or two, when I upgrade to two GPUs. Currently, it's not in my budget.

Monitor

My Current Monitor is an Acer V243H, 1920x1080/60, 2ms reaction time. I do have a second Monitor, but I don not use it for playing, more for displaying IRC/Browser/Movie while Mining in EVE, or doing whatever.

List of Parts so far

Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker

CPU: Intel i7-5820K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula

RAM: 2xG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600

Storage: 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 128GB in Raid 1
1x WD Black Series 2TB 3,5" 7200RPM

GPU: XFX Radeon R9 295X2

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

WiFi Adapter: ASUS PCE-AC56

OD: LG WH14NS40

Discussion CPU/Mobo

I really like the Mobo. And it is in an acceptable price range. I'd even get the next-gen one (ASUS Maximus VII Formula) but it does not offer a significant upgrade ( from my perspective, maybe the better onboard-soundcard), and doesn't support the Chipset for the CPU either.
I really like the CPU. And it is in an acceptable price range. The thing is, Mobos for it are (probably) really expensive ( at least the one I looked at {ASUS Rampage V Extreme}, which is double the cost of the Formula VI, although retracing my search, it does not seem to be the best bang/buck either)

Conclusion

I do think I've managed to assemble some nice components which should carry me over the next 4-5 years ( hopefully more, until quantum computing appears :p), which is probably also very upgradable, when I want to add the second GPU. The CPU/Mobo discussion is kind of the breaking point atm. I really do tend towards the 6-core CPUs, since I guess that with DX12 and Windumb 10 on the Horizon, we're gonna see a whole lot more where that is coming from, so I'm tending towards the 6-core CPU.

But on the other hand, I probably don't know half as much about Hardware as I think I do :D. I bow before your wisdom and ask kindly for your advice, oh wise ones of the internetz :)

Much advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

desert1701

//EDIT1: added OD, updated PCPartpicker Link

Solution
For the CPU/Motherboard problem, change the CPU to a Intel i7-4790k.

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k

I like the build a lot, but for the GPU, on the intel side, even if you like AMD cards, they have better and faster cards. I would go for this one:

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43988kr

Also, the power supply is a little overkill, I would change it to this one:

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-ax860

Otherwise, you should be fine. This PC will dominate any HD 5850.

Pixelatedtrollface

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
For the CPU/Motherboard problem, change the CPU to a Intel i7-4790k.

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k

I like the build a lot, but for the GPU, on the intel side, even if you like AMD cards, they have better and faster cards. I would go for this one:

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43988kr

Also, the power supply is a little overkill, I would change it to this one:

- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-ax860

Otherwise, you should be fine. This PC will dominate any HD 5850.

Solution

Pixelatedtrollface

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
One problem: I can't read german :p

The R9 295x2 is a little bit faster, but it draws 500ish watts of power out and makes so much heat even the water cooler can barely handle it. It will heat up your case a lot and draw almost all the wattage out of the pc. The GTX 980 stays cool with the two fan design and only uses around 200w.

Hope that helped a little bit more

I'm way too out of practice on builds I'm afraid. I did try to assemble some advice, but then saw that Pixelated had given you the same advice plus better suggestions.

Since your case is compatible, go with a larger 240mm radiator for cooling. It should give you more headroom for overclocking. If you are saving enough elsewhere consider a more "Real" water cooling solution. There some excellent easy kits around, like the Swiftech H20-220 series.

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Keep in mind, a 295x is essentially the farthest overkill you could go for a 1080 display. You will be maxing everything out and have no problem running constantly above 100 fps(if not upwards of 120+)...on a 60hz panel that will limit the benefits of having that card. That monitor, or any monitor at 60hz, will not display more than 60fps. So, your cranking out cash for results you won't be able to see. Number and FPS wise, yes, your benchmarks will be there, but the visual benefits won't. If you are comfortable with that, there isn't anything wrong with that. But if I was you with that large of a budget I'd keep buying either:

A: A higher resolution monitor which the 295 could take full advantage of, lowering your overall fps, but if you're on a 60hz panel that doesn't really matter, as long as your averaging a minimum of 60fps.
B: A monitor that has a higher refresh rate to take advantage of the large amount of frames your gpu can kick out at 1080p, allowing you the visually take advantage of 120+fps.

Or cut it in the middle a buy a cheaper GPU (r9 290x is still a great choice for 1080p, just isnt as much overkill and costs quite a bit less) and a new monitor. Just my two cents:)

desert1701

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks Proxi and Tyson,

Proxi: I don't think I can make enough cuts to the budget to get a water cooling in, but thanks for the advice. Regarding the 240mm: are you talking about a Corsair H100i, or something like the Noctua NH-D15?

Tyson: I might upgrade my monitor in the next few years, but not right now. I do think though, that it makes more sense to buy a powerful graphics card now that can potentially support a bigger/faster monitor in the future. Apart from that, I want this baby to last a few years, and thus I want to spend some money on making it last as long as possible (and play Star Citizen on max :p)
thanks for the advice and I do think I'm going to downgrade the CPU.

Thank for the advice :)

Pixelatedtrollface

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

If you want it to last a while, I would scratch the R9 295x2 and go with the GTX 980.

To choose best answer you press the best answer button (bottom right I think) on the post you thought was most helpful

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
It would be less overkill, because you'd be running an eyefinity setup which will triple your horizontal resolution. I still would suggest going to either a 290x or gtx 980 if you do not plan to go to 4k, you'd save upwards of ~100 US dollars. If you plan on going 4k, or even eyefinity 1440p, id stay with your 295x or nab the incoming gtx 980ti or r9 390x