Question Assessing My Data Backup Options (In Need Of Opinions)

Dave1117

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
What I was currently using was an incremental backup using seagate backup software. This is the software that comes with seagate external hard drives. The problem is after only a year or so the incremental backup has used up the entire 1tb drive. And this is especially problematic because my files only take up around 200gb... So at this point i'm done with seagate incremental backups.

Please tell me if you think this new method is a good idea or not...

Instead of incremental backup, I have one folder with all my data on the main PC. When I want to backup, I copy the folder onto the external HDD, and choose the option to skip existing files. The only issue that comes to mind with this is whether or not this will take substantially longer than other methods, or if there is greater risk for data loss using this method.

popatim

Titan
Doesn't sound like a good idea. Skipping existing files would not capture any updated files that need backing up since they already exist.

In your case, you might try Microsoft Synctoy 2.1 . You'll need to see if it works in 10; I know it works in 7 & 8.1, at least for me it does.
You'll create 2 groups which both will have set left side to your source folder and right side to the destination.
1st group set to mirror the source to the destination left to right only
2nd group set the source to only copy new and updated files to the destination. Left to right only.

Run the first one to initially populate the external drive.
Run the 2nd as needed
Re-run the first when you are absolutely sure you do not need anything that had been deleted from the Source.

USAFRet

Titan
If your imaging tool simply fills up the drive over time, you need a better tool.
I use Macrium Reflect exclusively. You can specifically designate how long to keep older images, either Full, Incremental, or Differential.

My current setup is 14 days. Delete the eldest as it goes.
And/or when it gets to a specified level of fullness on the drive.

Read more here:

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Since your concern seems to be backup of your data, you could use File History, which you already have as part of Windows 10. Once you set it up, it works automatically without any interaction from you.

Another option would be to use Google Backup and Restore. It is also automatic once it is setup. It uses cloud storage rather than your hard drive. Storage is free up to a certain amount.