Assistance Needed SSD's

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I have 2 Corsair 256GB SSD's at one point were setup with RAID0 and working fine. My custom built PC has a button called "Clear BIOS" on the back of the case that was accidently tripped erasing everything on my machine including the hard drive RAID0 settings. After reinstalling the OS (Windows 10 Pro) and most of my apps, I realize that I have the second drive sitting there with all of it's space. I've tried to reassign the drives as RAID0 but this would format the drives and I'd have to start from scratch again. Is there another option that I can use the second drive for? Right now the 256GB is unallocated space.

Thanks for the assist.

Solution
WEll.. there is no way to get it into a Raid0 at this point as far as I'm aware, without as you've said erasing everything and starting again.
From what I've read anyway.. there is not too much benifit to be gained from Raid-ing SSD's - maybe someone can correct me on that.
I would just use it as a data drive. Keep the 1st disk as systems and programs.. use the 2nd one also for frequently used programs or some games. (I'm assuming you also have a larger HDD for storage.)
Hey there, sparker781.

I'm afraid there's no way to get around the hardware RAID 0 without formatting the drives. I'm not sure what you mean by suggesting a different use for the SSD. You can simply use it as an additional drive to install games, store data, or write whatever you need to. You can format it by going to Disk Management and following this tutorial: How to partition and format a drive on Windows and Mac OSX.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
WEll.. there is no way to get it into a Raid0 at this point as far as I'm aware, without as you've said erasing everything and starting again.
From what I've read anyway.. there is not too much benifit to be gained from Raid-ing SSD's - maybe someone can correct me on that.
I would just use it as a data drive. Keep the 1st disk as systems and programs.. use the 2nd one also for frequently used programs or some games. (I'm assuming you also have a larger HDD for storage.)

Solution

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hahaha.. yeah.. what Boogieman_WD said...

If you really, really want it in RAID0 - use a PE - creat an image of your system - save this image to external HDD.
Create your RAID0
Use PE to dump image back onto RAID...

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

Thanks All. By the way ktolo what is PE?

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Its a Pre-Boot Execution environment. Windows PE or Bart PE. It's like a Linux boot disk only windows based..It allows you to make images as the system files on the hard disk aren't in use.

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

Oh...Yeah have no idea how to get my hands on one of those.

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

Sorry for the late response. I am doing as you all suggested...Have one for my APPS and the second for games if I decide to game again.

Thanks Again. Will definitely add another HDD for storage as well...Should I go with another SSD or standard drive should be fine?