Assistance needed: Video Card Suggestions (for a three year old PC/Specs in message)

Shawn_Hillian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my video card soon and I'd like to get your suggestions for the most powerful video card or the best-reviewed video card that I can buy. I am looking to spend no more than $320.00 and I'd probably go up to $350.00 if it meant that I didn't have to upgrade for three more years. Also, I want to keep the usage of my TV Tuner (Hauppauge). I'm assuming that not all video cards support TV tuners (Maybe I'm incorrect?).

I'm not an avid gamer but my curiosity has been piqued by quite a few older games (Far Cry: Primal & Far Cry 3) as well as some newer ones (NieR Automata), which range from playable on low settings (Far Cry: Primal) to non-playable (extreme delays and slow/choppy animation...it looks as though it's playing at eleven frames per second) on my PC. I'm not looking to upgrade my entire PC - just the video card.

I purchased my PC in early 2013 directly from HP and the specifications are below:

h8-1520t Intel
• Windows 8 64 (Now on Windows 10)
• 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 [DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA adapter] (My current card)
• 18GB DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
• TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote
• 600W Power supply (I hear that Power supply degrades after three years? So it may no longer be at 600W.)

Thank you for your help everyone!

Solution
What brand is the PSU? knockoff oem brands tend to not even be able to stably provide 600w brand spanking new
that PC you have has a great CPU, capable of playing tons of newer games just fine. even though it is locked, it will do just fine

this leads to the GPU:

since of the new thrums mining hype, new GPU prices SKYROCTED though the roof. I'm not kidding. things that used be 200 or 300 is now hundreds more.

if you aren't afraid of used parts, fish around for used 980s. a used 980 is pretty decent for your price range, and if you are lucky, a used 980ti will fit perfectly into your price range. always be on the hunt, and make sure you buy from GPUs that look in ok condition, and provide good contact(like ask the seller, etc)

well...

Ryan_78

Honorable
What brand is the PSU? knockoff oem brands tend to not even be able to stably provide 600w brand spanking new
that PC you have has a great CPU, capable of playing tons of newer games just fine. even though it is locked, it will do just fine

this leads to the GPU:

since of the new thrums mining hype, new GPU prices SKYROCTED though the roof. I'm not kidding. things that used be 200 or 300 is now hundreds more.

if you aren't afraid of used parts, fish around for used 980s. a used 980 is pretty decent for your price range, and if you are lucky, a used 980ti will fit perfectly into your price range. always be on the hunt, and make sure you buy from GPUs that look in ok condition, and provide good contact(like ask the seller, etc)

well post your PSU specs anyways, you may need a new one

Solution

Shawn_Hillian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I should have mentioned this in my first post but I'm paranoid - so I'm looking for a new card. Also, I don't mind waiting a few months until this pricing situation cools down. Thank you for the suggestions and for pointing me in the right direction (GeForce GTX 980). I will post back tomorrow with the PSU specifications.

By the way, you mentioned a 980s and then a 980ti, which would you recommend?

Thanks again!

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

If you can find a used 980 TI that's in good condition, definitely grab that. Up here (In Canada) they're going for about $450-500 CAD.

I'm also in the market for a new card and currently looking for something better than my Radeon 7770, so I feel your pain haha

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Tis a good mid range card. The only thing I've heard is to opt for the dual fan variant for better cooling but I don't think that would make to big of difference.

Shawn_Hillian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Sorry for the delay in posting the PSU information. I am including the information below.

Name: Delta Electronics.
DPS-600WB A
Input 100-127V ~ 50-60hz 10 A
200-240V ~ 50-60hz, 4A

Output: +12Va - 16A
+12Vb - 18A
+12Vc - 12A
+12Vd - 10A
+5.08V - 16A
+3.3V - 15A
+5.08Vsb - 2A
-12V - 0.3A

MAX POWER 600W

Since I bought this PC three years ago - should I be concerned that it is no longer at 600W. Is this even a good brand.

Also, how do I know that I can handle a six pin or an eight pin video card? I saw a free p10 (clear) and a free p11 (black) cable. Also, when I looked up my PSU it mentions that it has a 24Pin Connector /4+4Pin CPU Connector but no mention as to whether it can handle a 8Pin Connector or 6Pin Connector.

Thank You,

Ryan_78

Honorable
open up your case, then see if you have some pins labled PCI-E or if they look like this
pcie-power.jpg

if there are, then you are prob fine. Delta electronics is a nice and reputable PSU company (makes PSUs for Antec, noted for functional and nice units that dont explode. either way, 600W or not its probably fine.)
plus that there are 4 12V rails adding to 56A which technically can output more power than rated, which is a good sign

would opt in for a 980/ti fi you can get one,performs less efficient but better than a 1060(those currently overpriced)

Shawn_Hillian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thank you. I'll look into the 980ti as well. They're both very expensive at the moment. I am hoping prices come down within the next month or so.

Shawn_Hillian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Hello Again,

Question about something you said: 4 12V rails adding to a 56A.

With that in mind, then I should be able to look at the 980ti or GTX 1060 SC or SSC (as long as it is not the FTW edition, which usually requires more power) without having to worry about getting a new PSU. However, a 1070 and up (1080) would be too much for my current PSU, correct? Thanks again.

Ryan_78

Honorable
technically the 980/ti pumps more power than all of the newer cards.
either way im having an overclocked 7970 running on mine (outputs 54A) and it is more power consuming that all of your cards(maybe 2 added together)

so you are fine with whatever card you listed you choose