Question Assistance please, I need a pic of the inside of an HP Envy 750-625rz

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A friend of mine that lives in another state has this computer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/docume...wcHSLW-Dcn-Uac4HzS7bbPCymaaXTcCbZyP8Q3JuLVpuY

It's the Ryzen 3 version with the RX550. Her budget was very tight, got this back around fall or so of last year. I am looking to do a couple of upgrades for her while we stop in to see them coming back from a trip.

I have found pics of the inside of the Intel version, but cannot seem to find any of this particular model with the video card installed. I do not want to ask her to open the box in that she is not technical. Worst case I can attempt to walk her through it but am trying to avoid that.
The literature I can find indicates that on this chassis we can drop in an R5 1600 without having to swap the power supply. It says the 1700 will not fit, which I can only assume is an issue of cooler height. The same mobo will take it in the larger Pavilion case.
By appearance with the Intel equipped machine it looks like I will need a 3.5 to 2.5 drive adapter to outfit this with an SSD for her. It has an M.2 slot, but I happen to have SSD I can gift her.
I am also trying to find out if the 8GB of RAM installed is (1) stick, or 2x4GB like I assume it is. I cannot seem to locate details on that aspect either.

Can any of you Google Foo me a pick of the AMD equipped machine, or happen to have one you can fill in the blanks for me on this?

Thank you

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
What is your question? This PC officially supports up to a Ryzen 5 1600, but a Ryzen 7 1700 would most likely work as they have the same 65W TDP. Yes you would need a 2.5 inch drive adapter to securely mount a 2.5 inch SSD assuming this PC does not have mounting points for a 2.5 inch drive. As far as the memory goes, the website says nothing about whether two slots are occupied. If she has Windows 10 installed you can ask her to open the task manger, click on memory, and get her to tell you if it says 1 of 2 slots are occupied or 2 of two.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What is your question? This PC officially supports up to a Ryzen 5 1600, but a Ryzen 7 1700 would most likely work as they have the same 65W TDP. Yes you would need a 2.5 inch drive adapter to securely mount a 2.5 inch SSD assuming this PC does not have mounting points for a 2.5 inch drive. As far as the memory goes, the website says nothing about whether two slots are occupied. If she has Windows 10 installed you can ask her to open the task manger, click on memory, and get her to tell you if it says 1 of 2 slots are occupied or 2 of two.

I forgot about task manager having that info....thank you.

My thoughts on the 1700 are a consideration of how/where the optical drive sits. I don't think there is room for the stock cooler. This is still going to be a very budget driven upgrade, so likely will stick with the 1600 anyway.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I forgot about task manager having that info....thank you.

My thoughts on the 1700 are a consideration of how/where the optical drive sits. I don't think there is room for the stock cooler. This is still going to be a very budget driven upgrade, so likely will stick with the 1600 anyway.
You'd generally use the included HP cooler regardless of your CPU choice, as that computer is rated for 65TDP CPUs. A retail boxed AMD cooler whether it's a Ryzen 5 or 7 most likely won't fit anyways.