Question Assistance Putting My New System Together

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
The psu died on my old pc. I was able to confirm this when the psu for my new system arrived. I eventually plan to by a new psu to keep my old legacy gaming system running and use a kvm, to switch between old and new, but that is a future project. My issue is migrating my data from old to new. I need to get my data off my old PC. Unique issues in this case:

-Once I build the new I will have no way to power the old.
-The old HDD has windows 7 in it, plus it will need to stay/end up in the old system. I am using 10 in the new system.
- I have about 500GB+/- worth of stuff that needs to be transferred.

So what is the best way to make the transfer? What about using a service like carbonite? Once I got the new system set up I was going to sign up for the backup service anyways.

Second question, I will be using my old R9 270x as a place holder in my new system until the AiBs release their 5700xt's. I have read that when you install a new mobo/cpu you have to do a fresh windows install. Do you have to do the same with a gpu? On my old rig I went from an HD something to the R9 with just deleting the old drivers, without issue. I've got a spare 500gb HDD I can throw in my new system as a place holder for my ssd if I need to but would prefer just to get the ssd installed.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully when my motherboard comes in tomorrow the build will go smoothly and I want have anymore questions.

New build specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gskill Trident Z 3200Mhz DDR4 32GB
MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 SSD
RX 5700XT AiB card(place holder is R9 270x)
Fractal Design Meshify C
Corsair RMx 650W
Windows 10

DSzymborski

Titan
You don't need to use any service to transfer files. Once you have Windows installed and the new PC is up and running, you can either simply install the hard drive as a secondary hard drive (just make sure to set to boot to the SSD rather than the hard drive). Or you can get an external enclosure for about $15 and use the old hard drive as an external drive and drag over the files you need that way.

Untitled.png

Most of these drives on my main/gaming PC were first installed in other PCs. In fact, I think only the C, K, and L drives are new since my platform upgrade last summer.

DSzymborski

Titan
It was my understanding that you could not click and drag/copy files from an HDD that had an os on it, only one that was used as storage only. Is that not correct?

It is not correct. You just can't drag over Windows or installed programs. But data, you can do that every day and twice on Sunday. Still good to remove Windows from it when you get a chance and just leave your data folders so you can use it as an extra drive.

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
It is not correct. You just can't drag over Windows or installed programs. But data, you can do that every day and twice on Sunday. Still good to remove Windows from it when you get a chance and just leave your data folders so you can use it as an extra drive.

Ok thanks. I won't be removing windows from it because once I get the data I want transfered over it will go back in my old unit. AT some point, when I recouped my losses from the purchasing of my new rig, I'll buy a new psu for it and a kvm switch. I've got a lot of old games that may not run well or at all on 10. So will need it for xp (it has an xp drive in it as well) and 7.