Question Assistance selecting graphics card from a certain website

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hello,

I'm on my way to building my first PC for a very long time. Already decided on MSI Tomahawk, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x. Now I need a graphics card. I am currently using a "KFA2 - GeForce GTX 770 EX OC 2 GB" which, once I've built the thing would limit certain games I could play.

I'm not a "I should be able to count the fleas on a dog 1 mile away in game" kind of guy.

Now the kicker is on a certain website I have £2-300 to spend on it (buy now pay 12 months later making repayment much easier) and 52 options and I'm not 100% certain on what I should do. Most sites I've looked at for reviews and comparisons barely mention the "numbers" 1050, 1650 etc etc"

I just want something that can play games to a decent standard.

ANy help finding a GPU on here https://www.very.co.uk/electricals/...ds/e/b/118786.end?sort=price,1&numProducts=52 which is of good value would be very welcome. While £300 is max I have left on there I would like to have a bit of wiggle room, if possible.

EDIT: here is a link to a pc partspicker where I list roughly what the build will look like after I've done with just a mobo, cpu and ram upgrade (all items listed as £0.00 I already own). https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/gazza1988/saved/#view=9GNQqs (NOTE: the PSU is 1 month old, new)

EDIT2: For some reason the case I have isn't on there. I have a very very old cooler master COSMOS S case which will be changed eventually.)

Last edited:
Is that £300 on credit you have with them? Just sounds a bit restrictive. And most catalogue electricals tend to be more expensive in my experience.

But I think the GTX 1660 ti is the most suitable for the price you'd pay. The GTX 1060 is too expensive at that price they have, and the GTX 1660 is... disappointing.

I think you grab one these, the GTX 1660Ti GPUs from there. These are under your budget as well. This is surely going to be an upgrade for you, coming from the GTX 770, IMO. But, which POWER SUPPLY unit do you have ? List the make/model.

BTW, Did you delete your previous topic, because I was about to post this same reply, but the thread could not be found.

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Is that £300 on credit you have with them? Just sounds a bit restrictive. And most catalogue electricals tend to be more expensive in my experience.

But I think the GTX 1660 ti is the most suitable for the price you'd pay. The GTX 1060 is too expensive at that price they have, and the GTX 1660 is... disappointing.

Hi, yes the cost is very high, I have £700+ with them but I already have the cpu etc in the basket. I've said for a year now I will save money up to buy the parts but so far I've managed £80 :LOL: (3 kids at home and a missus who wants this that and the other, so something always comes up) with 12 month interest free I can spend the £700+ and pay back £60 a month which is a lot easier for me.

Already looked at the pcpartpicker and I can save £130 just buying from elsewhere which is very irritating but I can barely play Fallout without me looking outside if an aircraft is flying over, but it's the fans on the PC.

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
I think you grab one these, the GTX 1660Ti GPUs from there. These are under your budget as well. This is surely going to be an upgrade for you, coming from the GTX 770, IMO. But, which POWER SUPPLY unit do you have ? List the make/model.

BTW, Did you delete your previous topic, because I was about to post this same reply, but the thread could not be found.

I haven't deleted a topic. I did a couple of edits.

I have a EVGA 750w GQ 80+ Gold PSU.

It's been a long time since I last built or upgraded anything myself. Last time I built my own pc 256mb graphics cards were the enthusiast end of the scale, so to say I'm rusty is a understatement!

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
+1^
That PSU will handle any card you'll find at your budget. What case (chassis) will this card be in?

At the moment I have a coolermaster COSMOS S https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119150 just a different colour handles.

This is very old, I know. I would like a new one but I don't like the look of the options on very I will have to look at cases on alternate sites. This case is ok but it is massive and it also lacks usb 3.0. That may very well be a separate thread!

To be honest I will look into pcpartpicker for a case because you can filter by graphics card "headroom" and drive bays etc etc.

A further question about the cards, why are there so many that appear to be the same as each other. For example, if I filter the 1060 ti variant there are 9 cards, with a £25 price range. all look largely the same, all have 6GB GDDR. I realise some are shorter for say micro/mini atx builds

why are there so many that appear to be the same as each other. For example, if I filter the 1060 ti variant there are 9 cards, with a £25 price range. all look largely the same, all have 6GB GDDR. I realise some are shorter for say micro/mini atx builds

Those might be actually custom AIB models.. Some AIB cards have a different cooling solution for the PCB, and the price also slightly depends on the brand as well (ASUS, EGA, MSI, Gigabyte)...Some models may also be slightly overclocked from the factory, that's why you see different GPU variants.

They are almost the same though, just slight performance difference, due to higher GPU/MEM core clocks, as applicable.

Last edited:

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Those might be actually custom AIB models.. Some AIB cards have a different cooling solution for the PCB, and the price also slightly depends on the brand as well (ASUS, EGA, MSI, Gigabyte)...Some models may also be slightly overclocked from the factory, that's why you see different GPU variants.

They are almost the same though, just slight performance difference, due to higher GPU/MEM core clocks, as applicable.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking again and seeing various numbers of fans on them I had assumed it may be cooling related. I did try a google but all that kept coming up were benchmark comparisons, where the differences were negligible.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
At the moment I have a coolermaster COSMOS S https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119150 just a different colour handles.

This is very old, I know. I would like a new one but I don't like the look of the options on very I will have to look at cases on alternate sites. This case is ok but it is massive and it also lacks usb 3.0. That may very well be a separate thread!
Yeah, that was a high end case in its day. I have my newest build (i5-9600K) in an old case too; Cooler Master 912 HAF. I put a USB3.0 front panel hub in it do I could have USB3.0 in front. I love the old case and hate to get rid of it. Last of the really well made, solidly built cases that didn't cost a fortune.

Reactions: gazza1988