Question Assistance walking through what's going on with Windows 10 and my audio devices

Metallica93

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I've been so stumped on this that I need to start at square one and ask for some guidance because it's driving me nuts. Questions are highlighted in red for those that want to skim.

Summary of the issue: I was playing Rocksmith 2014 latency-free after swapping out optical audio for analog and turning off any sound effects on my Sony HT-CT390 sound bar. After cleaning out my desktop, I plugged everything back in, booted up, ran some Windows updates, rebooted, and was then met with various audio issues: latency in Rocksmith 2014 again (with analog), my monitor wasn't listed as a playback device, etc.

1) I unplugged all audio devices, uninstalled all drivers, and rebooted. Things I noticed:
a) It appears that two, different types of drivers were automatically installed: High Definition Audio Device and Realtek(R) Audio. The former is apparently for a device called Digital Audio (HDMI) that looks like my monitor, but I'm unsure as to why there are five instances of it nor why it's not detecting that the monitor is connected, just via DisplayPort, instead. The latter appears to be a basic driver for almost every other device.
b) For some reason, Windows is showing that I have a non-existent S/PDIF output available when the only audio device that's currently plugged in is my ViewSonic monitor. Why is this showing as an enabled/working playback device?
c) Is there some sort of audio device cache that stores information on previous audio devices? Three, recording devices are showing up as disconnected (presumably, my audio interface, my webcam, and my Real Tone Cable for Rocksmith), but I'm uncertain how Windows would know that if none are plugged in and I uninstalled the drivers. My headphones and Sony sound bar also appear as disconnected playback devices, Windows somehow having saved my descriptions of them.

2) When I plug my headphones into the front audio jack, they work and appear labeled as Audio-Technica ATH-M35 in Device Manager, Control Panel, and Windows 10's Sound page.

3) When I plug my headphones into the rear audio jack, they work and appear labeled as my Sony HT-CT390 sound bar in the aforementioned places. Why can't Windows make the distinction between the sound bar and the headphones, though?

4) When I plug Rocksmith's Real Tone Cable into one of the rear U.S.B. ports, it works and appears labeled in the aforementioned places, but has a "2-" listed in front of it as if it's a second device. It also did not replace the disconnected Line In device like I assumed it would.

5) When I plug my webcam into one of the rear U.S.B. ports, it works and appears labeled in the aforementioned places. No issues, woo!

6) When I plug my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire 6 U.S.B. 1.1) into one of the rear U.S.B. ports, it works and appears labeled in the aforementioned places, but also has a "2-" listed in front of it as if it's a second device. This happens under both Playback and Recording.

7) When I plug my Sony HT-CT390 sound bar in to the rear audio jack, it works and appears labeled in the aforementioned places. Unfortunately, there's still noticeable latency using Rocksmith 2014 via analog when there wasn't before. All of the in-game settings and .ini file changes are the exact same, so I know it's related to the drivers.

8) Realtek HD Audio Manager is no longer an option (i.e. it's not even installed on my machine, apparently) and Realtek's Audio Console program doesn't work. I'm not even 100% sure that I need either.

9) My MSI motherboard has three audio drivers which I can apparently download. Should I download all three? I'm not even sure how I know which ones I need, if at all.

I know this is a lot, but I tried covering every base I could. I'm just a bit lost as to how to proceed to get my monitor to show up as a playback device again as well as figure out where this phantom latency got introduced in my game.

EDIT: there are several Imgur links in my post, but they don't appear to show up in Tom's Hardware's dark mode? Just a heads up.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS