Build Advice Assistance with building my first ever AMD-based rig ?

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hi, everyone!

After 30+ years of Intel (which I'm still a fan of, don't get me wrong) I've decided to switch to a full AMD build, just to spice things up a little and see what the craze with AMD is as I'm seeing a lot of folks being desperate with AMD. So, I said, hell yeah, let's do it! 5-10 years of trying AMD out won't hurt, so why not? :)

So anyway, after 3 days of researching and educating myself about AMD CPUs and GPUs, I still have some questions that I can't find the answers to, which is where I need your assistance with if you don't mind offering it.

I just don't know where to start asking the questions though because there's a total mess in my head right now, so bare with me please if I ask questions that don't make sense yet. I promise to clear up any confusion you might have as a result of my own confusion LOL. So anyway...

1. I've read somewhere (I don't remember where, though as I've frequented a lot of sites over the last 3 days, picking up information from all sorts of sources, and I really don't know where I've heard this, but I remember clearly that I've read somewhere) that AMD-based builds are more finnicky than Intel ones. In what way they are finnicky I can't tell (I don't even think that I've read the full explanation of this, all I remember is this bit of info).

The person(s) mentioning this could have meant that AMD builds are more unstable than Intel, or they could have meant that they're more sensitive to bottlenecks, or whatever. I really don't remember but I know for sure that I've read somewhere that when putting AMD builds together you need to pay more attention to the components and their compatibilities than with Intel. Yeah, I think that this was what those guys meant...

Is this true, and if yes, in which way??

2. Since I'd like to try new things out, after 30+ years of using Intel and ATX systems I'd like for once to go with mATX system this time, but after doing a bit of research I understood that not all GPUs fit into a mATX case (which makes sense, obviously, but this doesn't mean that I'm not left disgruntled because I have to give up the delicious RX 6700 XT GPUs that I found but which, sadly, require 3 slots to be installed, slots that I simply do not have inside of a 288 x 288 mATX case)...

So, my question is: can someone please recommend the best AMD GPU that fits inside of a mATX case and which is $600 TOPS (yeah, my budget is limited, and GPUs prices are insane nowadays, so I can't afford paying more than $600 for a GPU, but I'd prefer paying even less than $600, around $400-450 if it's possible. But up to $600 is OK really, it just needs to fit into my mATX).

Also, something else that I've desperately searched for are GPUs that have a bandwidth of at least 192 bits. Why 192 bits? I can't say as I really have no particular use for the GPU in mind besides the usual video gaming, internet browsing, maybe some video editing every now and then. But I just feel comfortable knowing that my GPU is at least 192 bits, but alas, the prices for 192 bits and higher are out of this world.

I guess I'll settle for less than 192 bits if there's no other options, but if there is, then can you please recommend the best GPU that meets all of these criteria:
  • not Nvidia (AMD or something else, I don't care as long as it's not Nvidia)
  • fits inside of mATX case
  • at least 192 bits bandwidth
  • under $600
And speaking of technical details, can someone explain to me what on Earth Stream Processors and Compute Units are? After 20 years of using Nvidia I got used to its Cores thingy (which is something like a CPU or something), but I've never heard of Stream Processors before, so I have no idea what these are or how important they are when shopping around for AMD GPUs. And the Compute Units, too. What the heck are these things?

Actually, what is Memory Speed, too? Is it the same as the Memory Frequency spec in Nvidia GPUs, or is it something else? And if it's something else, which one is the Memory Frequency then?? I'm so confused...

For example, I'm currently using a GTX 660 GPU (yes, I know that it's old, don't mock me please!) and for this GPU things are clear: its speed is 980 MHz, its capacity is 2GB and its RAM type is GDDR5. So clear!

But for the RX 6770 XT GPU there are things like Core Clocks, Memory Speed (is this the the same as Nvidia's Speed of 980 MHz??), Stream Processors, Compute Units... I really don't understand how to read these things...

And this brings me to point 3...

3. How do I get the best out of my computer in terms of compatibility and no bottlenecks if (we assume) that AMD is more finnicky, like the other guys said? For example, I know that if you buy a MoBo that doesn't support speeds higher than 3200 MHz, for example, there's no point in buying both CPU and RAM sticks that function over the 3200 MHz speed because your MoBo will simply not make use of the extra speeds offered by the CPU and RAM because it's not built like that. But how does the CPU's speed and RAM frequency affect each other?? By the way, I forgot to mention (and I apologize for this) that the current components I'm having in mind are these:

Gigabyte B550M-DS3H (Motherboard)
Ryzen 5 5600, or Ryzen 5 5500 (I haven't decided on the CPU yet, but feel free to recommend me the better of the 2)
2x16 GB Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4 CL16 3200MHz (RAM memory sticks)
1TB Crucial P3 Plus (SSD)
4TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro 7200RPM 256 MB Cache (HDD)
???? (GPU)

As you can see I've not decided on the GPU, PSU, and mATX case, but the PSU and case I can decide easily for myself after I have all components. But the GPU is giving me headaches because I don't know what works best with the other components and which also fits into mATX case and which is cheap.

Also, I'm not interested in any components that have anything AT ALL to do with overclocking, XMP and the alikes. I always prefer stability and flawlessness over crazy stuff in my computers, so I don't care even in the slightest about any component that even remotely mentions overclocking / XMP. Just so you guys know where I stand with regards to these latest and craziest technologies :)

Whew! That was a long one.... and I still don't feel like I've cleared all confusion that's in my head right now. But if I find the answers to these questions I have a feeling that I will have accomplished a lot, so please help me understand these things if it's not too much trouble for you.

Thanks in advance!

PS: ugh, I also forgot to mention that there's a big possibility that I might need to use this new build for AutoCAD (which version of AutoCAD I don't know yet, but let's assume the latest version), so this will probably require even more resources from my rig, right? So what CPU / GPU / RAM do you recommend in this case? Or maybe even a new MoBo? But I would love to keep this MoBo as I'm a big fan of Gigabyte and their anti-shock (anti power surge) capabilities. Given how often power surges happen here in my area (sometimes even multiple times within 1 hour) I would have destroyed my computer within a few short months had I not had a shock-resistant MoBo, which is why I prefer Gigabyte. But if you know that other manufacturers also have anti-shock MoBo, by all means, feel free to recommend them! Like I said, I'm in "trying new things out" mode, so I'll definitely have a look at new components if they meet my needs / requirements

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
As you can see I've not decided on the GPU, PSU, and mATX case, but the PSU and case I can decide easily for myself after I have all components. But the GPU is giving me headaches because I don't know what works best with the other components and which also fits into mATX case and which is cheap.
you probably should first decide on case, then in case papers you would know which PSU type you can fit and also it tells you how big GPU (dimensions) you can fit in....3 slots/2slots doesnt matter as long it fits in case, it will eat just single pcie slot from mainboard, but it is fat as 2 or 3 cards

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
you probably should first decide on case, then in case papers you would know which PSU type you can fit and also it tells you how big GPU (dimensions) you can fit in....3 slots/2slots doesnt matter as long it fits in case, it will eat just single pcie slot from mainboard, but it is fat as 2 or 3 cards

I've settled on this case, but I don't mind changing it if you think that I need something different:
https://aqirys.com/product/bellatrix-pro

What do you mean by "in case papers"?? I'm not native English speaker so I'm not good at understanding nuances.

2 questions, budget, and do you happen to live near a Microcenter?

Budget.... hmm... I think it's around $1300, give or take. I've not figured the budget out just yet. Also, this purchase will happen anywhere between 45 and 90 days from now, I don't know the exact time, but it's definitely at least 45 days from now.

Regarding the microcenter, do you mean a computer assembly shop / computer vendor? Or what do you mean by microcenter? If that's what you mean then yes, there are dozens of them in my city (it's a pretty big city here in Romania so we have access to almost everything, but I prefer not to purchase my components offline because I'm a weakling of a man and sellers always cram all of their crap down my throat and I've had enough of this as I always end up paying more than what I initially budget for)

Autocad is terribly threaded. I doubt you would see much difference between the two.

Good to know then! Because if all things being equal I'd obviously prefer to pay less :D

Regarding the stuff in your signature, I'm trying to follow the instructions but there's too much info in those threads that you link to so excuse me if for some reason I fail to comply with all of the rules.

So anyway, as per the instructions in your signature thread, here are the details:

Approximate Purchase Date: 45-90 days from now
Budget Range: $1300-ish for everything (shipping and other potential costs / taxes included in this price)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multitasking, entertainment (watch movies, sports streaming online, watch youtube, etc), Gaming, AutoCad, office related stuff (word, excel)
Are you buying a monitor: nope

Parts to Upgrade: no upgrading, just replacing the entire computer with a new one

Do you need to buy OS: no (I'm switching to Linux)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no website in particular, but I'd prefer to buy the components from local websites instead of Amazon. But I'm not sure about this yet, I will see at the time of purchase what's available and where...

Location: Craiova, Dolj, Romania (I will put the PC together myself)
Parts Preferences: AMD all the way...

Overclocking: never
SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what these are, so no?
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: a quiet PC would be great indeed, but not if I have to compromise on the temperatures because it gets helluva hot here in South Romania during summers, my computer will constantly sit in 30+ degrees Celsius for months during summer, and it's pretty dusty too here in my local area, so high temperatures + insane amounts of dust are the biggest problems for a PC.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm not upgrading, I'm fully replacing my current PC. As for reasons, I don't know what reasons to invoke other than to keep up with technology and because I'm interested in trying AMD out after such a long time with Intel and Nvidia. It's time for a change :)

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

Gigabyte B550M-DS3H rev 1.4
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-14/sp#sp

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5GHz Socket AM4 Box 100-100000927BOX
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt

SSD Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280
https://www.crucial.com/ssd/p3-plus/CT1000P3PSSD8

HDD NAS Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB SATA3 7200rpm 256MB 3.5inch
https://www.newegg.com/seagate-ironwolf-pro-st4000ne001-4tb/p/N82E16822184797

Kingston FURY Renegade 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel
https://www.newegg.com/kingston-32gb/p/0RN-001J-00ZX5

AQIRYS Bellatrix Pro

Inter-Tech Argus RGB-650 650W II RGB PSU
https://www.inter-tech.de/3435/Argus_RGB-650W_CM_II_EN.html

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Edit: wait! So, if this MoBo supports Ryzen 7 why does it not mention 7000 series then?? I don't get it...

Just to be clear Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7, Ryzen 9 are not generations, but product tier names.

Ryzen 3 2200G
Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 7 7700X
Ryzen 9 5950X

The Generations are roughly: 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000 for desktop.

AM4 and DDR4:
Zen 1000 series
Zen+ 2000 series
Zen2 3000 series (some lower end 3000 series are also Zen+)
Zen3 5000 series

Zen4 7000 series (AM5 motherboard and DDR5 required)

I've settled on this case, but I don't mind changing it if you think that I need something different:

What do you mean by "in case papers"?? I'm not native English speaker so I'm not good at understanding nuances.
product manuals

for this case its following:
  • PSU support: ATX, 175 mm maximum length (top installation)
  • VGA support: 280 mm maximum length
it has 4 expansion slots for add-in cards
your selected mainboard Gigabyte B550M-DS3H has PCI-E slot at 2nd expansion slot position, which means you can fit 3slot GPU

Elezondo

Commendable
Nov 19, 2021
cool! So then what's the deal with generation 7 and 9? Can I also put generation 9 CPU on this MoBo?

You seem too be confused regarding AMD Ryzen model numbering. Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 are comparable to Intel i3, i5, i7, and i9 and represent relative performance tier, not generation. The following 4 digit number dictates “generation” and placement within tier. Some chips have an ‘X’ at the end which indicate higher performance out of the box.

Reactions: jonstle and monere

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
your selected mainboard Gigabyte B550M-DS3H has PCI-E slot at 2nd expansion slot position, which means you can fit 3slot GPU

finally some good news! 6700XT here I come :D

Thanks, buddy! And yeah, I know that papers / manuals / docs mean the same thing, but I don't know why I couldn't connect the dots on your terminology. But it's clear now :)

You seem too be confused regarding AMD Ryzen model numbering.

Oh, I am confused! And I'm not even going to mention how PCIe, PCIE, PCIe x16, PCIE x16, PCIE 4.0 x4, PCIE x4 4.0, and the alikes make me feel because it's out of the scope of this thread. But yeah, these terminologies confuse the living heck out of me...

Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 are comparable to Intel i3, i5, i7, and i9 and represent relative performance tier, not generation. The following 4 digit number dictates “generation” and placement within tier.

Ok, it's clear now. Hopefully I won't forget by the time I buy it :D

I doubt it. They will be pretty clear on what the board supports in the compatibility list.

but just to confirm, ryzen 9 5950 is indeed the 5th generation

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
but just to confirm, ryzen 9 5950 is indeed the 5th generation

If you do an apples to apples comparison with Intel, kind of...

With AMD it is more complicated because of they way they decided to do their numbering and intermixing architectures and process nodes.

Zen (1000)
Zen+ (2000)
Zen2 (2000, 3000, and 4000 (mobile and OEM))
Zen3 (5000)
Zen3+ (6000 mobile)
Zen4 (7000)

Reactions: Thunder64

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
If you do an apples to apples comparison with Intel, kind of...

With AMD it is more complicated because of they way they decided to do their numbering and intermixing architectures and process nodes.

Zen (1000)
Zen+ (2000)
Zen2 (2000, 3000, and 4000 (mobile and OEM))
Zen3 (5000)
Zen3+ (6000 mobile)
Zen4 (7000)

so, based on this info, every AMD CPU that starts with 5 is a generation 3 then (because it falls within the Zen3 category)?? But then you and @Elezondo are contradicting each other because (s)he says that everything that starts with 5 is a generation 5. Which one of you do I believe? :D

logainofhades

Titan
This is what I meant by Microcenter. https://www.microcenter.com/. Sadly, there are none, in your country.

so, based on this info, every AMD CPU that starts with 5 is a generation 3 then (because it falls within the Zen3 category)?? But then you and @Elezondo are contradicting each other because (s)he says that everything that starts with 5 is a generation 5. Which one of you do I believe? :D

Actual 5000 series are technically gen 4 zen. We have 1000 series Zen, 2000 series Zen+, 3000 series Zen 2, 5000 series Zen 3. The 4000 series ryzen, I believe are Zen 2, but were originally mobile chips. AMD skipped ahead for Ryzen 5000, to make the desktop and mobile segments match which series they are.