[SOLVED] Assistance with Overclocking Ryzen 5 2600 with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Biwy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone and thank you for trying to help me out! I know there are a lot of OC threads but I cant seem to find a thread with someone that has my setup and my concerns in mind.

I have:
ASUS TUF 8450-Plus MOBO
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
2x8GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance CL15 RAM (at its default lowest setting at the moment, however)

I am making a thread because I would like someone to tell me what OC settings they use if they have the same setup as me. I primarily use my computer for gaming and this is my first serious build and I would like to get as much out of my purchase as possible. With that In mind, I would like to maintain a safe and well-performing overclock that I can use on a day-to-day basis. What setting would you recommend I use? Thanks for the help!

Solution
First go into bios and enable a-xmp or docp whatever they call it in that bios for 3000 mhz. Then manually change the speed to 2933 (3000wont run with ryzen for some reason. You have to enable xmp first to get timings and voltages set properly.

As for the cpu I would set the voltage to 1.38. and see if itll boot at 3.8, if so try 3.9 or 4.0. once you see if it'll work stress test and monitor temps to see if your cooling is sufficient

Once you settle on a speed start lowering the voltage in .01 increments to see how low you can keep it stable to lower temps a bit more

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
First go into bios and enable a-xmp or docp whatever they call it in that bios for 3000 mhz. Then manually change the speed to 2933 (3000wont run with ryzen for some reason. You have to enable xmp first to get timings and voltages set properly.

As for the cpu I would set the voltage to 1.38. and see if itll boot at 3.8, if so try 3.9 or 4.0. once you see if it'll work stress test and monitor temps to see if your cooling is sufficient

Once you settle on a speed start lowering the voltage in .01 increments to see how low you can keep it stable to lower temps a bit more

Solution

Biwy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014

Hey Thanks! That sounds simple enough, but what temp is ideal? And what am I looking for when I lower the voltage by .01 increments? Say I want to settle for 3.9 (since that is the max it indicates it will go), am I looking to lower the voltage enough to lower the temps while keeping the speed at 3.9 and stop once it dips below 3.9? Also you don't mention timings, while I notice a lot of videos that mention timings, should I leave those on auto or change them like a lot of people do? Thanks again

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you settle in at 3.9 keep lowering voltage until it isn't stable, then go back up to where it was last stable. Lower voltage is always better if it's stable.

You don't need to set timings when you enable xmp/docp/a-xmp (whatever your board calls it) it'll do all of that for you. You just have to remember to manually change to 2933 afterwards as it won't boot at 3000

As for temps if it touches 90 in a stress test or more than 81-82 in everyday useage get a better cooler or drop the oc a step and lower voltage again

Biwy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014

Okay, thanks that sounds doable! I have a 120mm 4 heat pipe fan cooler so that should keep the temps down. If you don’t mind me asking, how will I know if it is unstable? Will it not boot?

TRENDING THREADS